Face transplant

Have you been following this?   I'm sure the technology is a positive thing, but the story itself....

.....she took an overdose and got her face half eaten by the family labrador while she was unconscious.  The dog was put down against the family's wishes - are you kidding, I'd kill the damn thing myself if I found it doing that!!

.... and the donor was a successful suicide, she'd hanged herself.  How very French! 

Isn't it all just too weird and horrible?  How is this woman surviving all this?  What about the poor souls who found her with half her face missing? 

The ethics brigade are in on the act now, about whether it's ethically right to use donated material from a suicide.  Funny, really.  No matter how good our technology gets, the basic problems of humanity just don't go away!

I remember me little Labrador I got when he was only 8 weeks old, he arrived in a tea chest from Wexford (all the best Labradors came from Wexford) and I picked him up at the post office in Derrinturn. I was all excited at getting me own Labrador that was to be named Declan (after me uncle that had a club foot) He was a lovely blonde colour and very natural looking. He died after eating an exotic stripey frog that had escaped from Jimmy Kenny's house. I only had him for 3 short months before he was taken from me so prematurely and so young for his age. We have great memories of that time we spent together, getting up to all kinds of things. We even liked the same films and music. Me sausage dog I have now is like Declan in many ways! He has his lovely smile and his little ears are so floppy. I feel a bit sad now as this will be me 38th Christmas without Declan. God bless him.

Seriously SB, you obviously read and follow the news more than me, I have sort of been following this article, but hadn`t picked up the fact that she was off her head(no pun intended) at the time , nor that the donor was a suicide victim.

I was of the opinion that the dead person would be suitably impressed to know that her donated body had been put to good use.

I  carry a UK donor card.....where I apply for one in France.....not that I am planning on giving anything away just yet!

Mrs O

I picked up Monday's edition of "La Voix du Nord" broadsheet in Lille during a short stay this week, and found in it a rather sanctimonious article about how shocking it was that the case had been publicised in the UK press - Telegraph and, perhaps Sun - and how disgraceful this was, and so bad for the patient. (It also printed a much-reduced phoptograph of the front page of the Telegraph cover story.)  It said that the doctors had encouraged her to go public, and that she herself had chosen which photograph of her would appear. It finished by saying: "Of course, we would not *dream* of naming her".  

I couldn't help smiling, as I bet that (a) the woman realised that she had a one-off chance to make a lot of money by selling the story, and (b) the French privacy laws would come down heavily on any revelation of her identity, and of course (c) the VduN had somehow managed to talk about the case and show the picture in the guise of slagging off the UK press!

Angela