Bags Of Spaniels

I am bewildered by all the dogatory terms in England associated with the poor innocent Dogs in the world today! Why do people say "as mad as a bag of spaniels"   Surley to God the person that puts the poor spaniels in to the bags are mad and not the actual spaniels in the bag? or is it a custom in England to put all the mad spaniels into bags?  And why do the lads refer to ugly women as "dogs" I have never seen an ugly dog?  There is a very scary and strange looking enormous woman in Mudskippers Lane, that looks like the Cheeky Girls mother, but she does not resemble any dog I have ever met! they say she has lived on onions ever since her husband left her in 1963. 

And what about "dogged"  and "dog tired" Me own dogs never get tired, espescialy Edwin!  There are other terms used that are very rude! Dogs are really lovely and deserve better than this abuse of there species, and you never  hear anything bad said about dogs in France! You can even bring your dog out to lunch in a restaurent or take him for a drink in the many bars. Dogs are revered in France and looked upon as a dearly loved relative rather than an inferior creature to a human!  I have had a recent incident with John (me Pug) which prompted me to speak up for dog kind.

But FK, surely some dogs are more aesthetically challenged than others. There's this one for a start:

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/story.jpg[/IMG]

How about the idea of selling someone a pup? Or looking like a dog's breakfast? Having dog breath? It's a dog's life, obviously.

I can't say that I have heard of the bags of spaniels expression, but I often hear people talking about putting a spaniel in the works when something has gone wrong - that is just plain sadistic. And there was that popular song around the discos in the European resorts a few years ago - Viva le Spaniel.

[quote user="Will the Conqueror"]I can't say that I have heard of the

bags of spaniels expression, but I often hear people talking

about putting a spaniel in the works when something has gone wrong

- that is just plain sadistic. And there was that popular song around

the discos in the European resorts a few years ago - Viva le

Spaniel.[/quote]

Nor I: "mad as a sack full of tomcats" yes, and "mad as cut snakes" -

the latter I think may be unique to Norfolk, 'cos I've never heard it

anywhere else.

Surely getting a spaniel in the works would be quite difficult? Wouldn't it keep wriggling? Or is one supposed to stun it first?

Dick - what is that thing?

It's Sam the ugliest dog in the world according to CNN - it died (probably of shame) a while ago. You can read about (and see and hear) Sam at this website

and his own site here

If you must.

I always thought the expression was 'as ugly as a bag of spanners'. But hey - I had a colleague who reckoned that most people (ie everyone other than her) was as mad as a spoon...

Quite agree F/K and why do people associate canines with catwalks as in "Doggy fashion"?  I have heard of the expression "Dogging" recently, what exactly is that?  Because as the old cowboy Gabby Hayes used to say "Doggone if I know".

weedon

[quote user="Dicksmith"]It's Sam the ugliest dog in the world according

to CNN - it died (probably of shame) a while ago. You can read about

(and see and hear) Sam at this website

and his own site here

If you must.

[/quote]

Yep I had too! The alternatives are either:

A) February's accounts, or;

B) Finding out what the girls are doing to make that interesting gurggling noise in the upstairs bathroom.

"Mad as a spoon" I have heard - our secretary who hailed from somewhere

in County Mayo used it all the time, and, as you say, to describe

anyone except her. Lovely woman - see resigned from her job as a

physciatric nurse to come and work for us, so presumably she knew the

various degrees of madness on offer. I often wonder what happened to

her...

Mr Smith, I have read about this poor unfortunate creature and the terrible torment he endured during his life. He was actually rescued from an oven set on gas mark 9. He was pulled from the oven in time to save his life, but he has had to live with the terrible mental and phsycadelic scarring ever since. He was never able to father any offsprings and was partly sighted. His owners pleaded starvation and poverty drove them to marinate and season the poor dog to feed their starving children. He is now in a better place and shall suffer no more. God Bless him and all the other creatures that have now departed this immortal soil.

I like "viva le spaniels" as it means "up the spaniels"  like "up the blues" and so on.

I suspect that F/K has been half  listening to mentor Rev.William Archibald Spooner and thrown a spaniard in the works.  Or it might have been the influence of Mrs Malaprop.

Bisto I go further, take careful note of the Oxo Morons and you definitely maybe will find missing the constant variable, same differences constantly funny.  Having said that, when it rains cats and dogs take care you do not step into a poodle.

Must go, I have to, take my dog for a walk, turn my bike round? powder my nose? visit the little boys room?

weedon

Tony, on the right has one ear heavier than the other which could cause him to bark up the wrong tree.I would like to call the one 2nd from the left, Evander after Mr Holyfield who had his ear bitten off by the  nice Mike Tyson

weedon

Forgive me Christine I forgot to say the illustrations are great !!  Particularly loved the puppie's because I can't have one at the moment but will make up for it when I get to France.  I'll have at least three.... maybe four !  I know.  I'm  'Mad as a March Hare'.

I thought the term was Mad as a box of Frogs, but of course that could be taken the wrong way on this forum

Or was it "like two puppies fighting in a sack"

Oh, no, I think that was something different, but bags I get the one with the pink nose!

[quote user="Brilec"]

I thought the term was Mad as a box of Frogs, but of course that could be taken the wrong way on this forum

Or was it "like two puppies fighting in a sack"

Oh, no, I think that was something different, but bags I get the one with the pink nose!

[/quote]

"Head like a bucket of frogs" - a condition oft cured by taking "the hair of the dog." Dog. Frog. Fits for me.

Mrs Animal, you are a lovely fluffy girl! You always manage to find these lovely little things to delight the creature lovers among us! How is Tony?

A strange thing happened this morning in the little vegetable shop here in Upper Beagle! I was feeling the plums while at the same time chatting to the ginger haired shopkeeper  (Miss Oglemyers) about the Bionic man from the 70's tv series only having one bionic leg, then this very attractive woman standing behind me, butted in by saying that The Bionic Man actually had 2 bionic legs, and that he could do the splits then turn on his head and his legs would rotate like a helicopters rotors and he would fly off to rescue some damson in distress. Well both me and Miss Oglemyers argued that this was not true! but we still would not agree on how many of his legs were bionic, things got very heated and in the end Miss Oglemyers grabbed me plums and told me to go to Spar in future for me veggies and fruit. She then threw me and the other customer out of her shop! Me and her chatted outside and she introduced herself to me, her name is Gloria Lovepond, I said that I had never come across any Lovepond's before, and she told me she was from Stockport. She said she still had a video of the Six Million Dollar Man, and when I asked her if I could borrow it, she she invited me over to her cottage to view her video because it was on a betamax tape and she had the only surviving betamax video recorder in the world to view it on! Now I am wondering if she is just trying to lure me over to her place for some extra terrestrial purposes or maybe she justs wants me to mow her lawn, I just don't know! What should I do? I really would like to clear up the mystery about the Bionic Man and his legs.