The grass is always greener ?

David Soul was on BBC Breakfast this morning. Apparently he has become British and taken his Citizenship test. When asked why his reply was that he felt at home in the UK and there was a much greater sense of community ! The very thing that many British people sight as an advantage of moving to France.

[quote user="weliveinhope"]Maybe it's easier to uncover a sense of community elsewhere when you're rich and famous?[/quote]

It's true that the British are generally regarded by the French as being pretty well-off.   So you must be right. 

Two years ago, my English village was awarded the county “Village of the Year” award in the annual Calor-sponsored competition. As a village, we are a supportive and integrated community and we were proud to receive the award. However, there are people in the village who prefer to remain on the outside, sometimes sniping at those who work for the community, sometimes just choosing not to engage with the community.

I’m always puzzled by people who say that they don’t know who lives next door – citing this as evidence of a lack of community spirit. It never seems to dawn on them that THEY could go and introduce THEMSELVES to their neighbour.

I am equally puzzled by people who go into a culture of which they have no real experience and whose language and mores they do not understand, and then on the basis of a few observations think they have identified a “strong sense of community”.

In my tiny French village, I observed behaviour at a few “set piece” events and believed that I had come into a cohesive community. It took some time to learn of the divisions and fissures that really existed. One of the families which had been friendly to us were – apparently – pariahs. Why? We don’t know and no-one will tell us. A woman who seemed to be central to village activities was scorned behind her back.

… and so on.

“Community” is what you make of it.

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

[quote user="weliveinhope"]Maybe it's easier to uncover a sense of community elsewhere when you're rich and famous?[/quote]

It's true that the British are generally regarded by the French as being pretty well-off.   So you must be right. 

[/quote]

I was actually referring to David Soul's experience![:D]

Lovely post CK. You have said it all really.

Our village, well, yes everyone turns up for the do's. That there are families who just don't associate with the others or even feuds between some would be impossible to tell if you didn't know.

Yes. You learn to keep your mouth shut in France when wanting to criticize anyone or their family,they all seem to be related one way or another. Actually my kids say I know more about the villagers here than people who have lived here for more than 50years as I get them all  gossip to me rather than their neighbours which is quite nice really.