Hurricane Gordon...

Val_2

the tale end of this is currently battering Brittany, coming up from the Vendée region.Its very very rough here on the north west coast and right across the peninsula at this moment and I suggest anyone with a holiday home here gets a neighbour to check all is OK tomorrow in case of any insurance claims needed for roof damage or such like as you only have a limited number of days in which to get your claim in.

I'm surprised - it must be local gusting as all the meteorological stations NW Brittany have recorded a max F6 since midday today. Channel Light Vessel got a F7 briefly at midday and down by St Nazaire has had F7 since about 15:00. But F7 is not that bad. Is it gusty of a continuous wind ?

Ian

Ian, its continual strong gusts not letting up at all. The pompiers have already passed twice since lunch probably to rescue someone out in a boat or move fallen pines that have such shallow roots they are always the first to go over. I might pop down and look at the sea in a while and see what its like.

Well we have had the most glorious day here in Manche, 27 degrees an clear blue skies.  I was even dozing in the evening sun at 6.45pm then by  7.15 the skies had blackened and by 7.45 we had stairods of rain, howling gales, thunder and lightening - totally unbelievable.  Since about 10pm it's been dead calm again!!!  Funny old world.

Hi Val

Was the same here nr St Nazaire, real gusts of wind, our windows had blown open whilst I was out, will need to check they are all properly shut now after summer! large branches off  trees, garden strewn with debris, but by 7pm, very still and humid.  Lots of rain thou during the night.

Lollie