What would you change in France if you could ?

Bugsy

The meetings I was thinking about have nothing to do with customer service, thankfully.

They are the kind of meetings that happen in any community, which are about organising events (such as cleaning-up of the river banks, having a social forum, bring in a speaker about local winegrowers, etc..) or they are decision making meetings - again, which affect the whole local community. They are also the meetings at the beginning of the winter campaign for charities, (Restos du Coeur, Secours Populaire, Red Cross) - these meetings and events take place just about  everywhere in France, and  I would have thought that most newcomers who are keen to integrate into "the French Way of Life" will want to attend and participate into. Is this not the case Jonzjob?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cooperola - me maybe is the answer to your question.  Haven't been here quite long enough yet, but think if we stay I will think about getting French citizenship, cos like ChrisP I really do think we can all make a difference.  In UK I was greatly involved in getting passports for pets and getting rid of quarantine.  For a long time everyone said I was mad (especially my own family).  Nothing you say can make a difference etc.  Well it has happened and all those who regularly take their pets back and forward to France can do so thanks to us 'loonies' who tried to do something.  Only a small thing I know but I'm proud I could be bothered.

I enjoy my life in France (mostly) but like Chris I'm not going to say it's perfect when it ain't.

And now I have to go to a meeting - probably still be there in the New Year[;-)]

Yup, I fully intend to become a French citizen - if they will have me - in a couple of years' time, when I qualify.  No, French life is not perfect, neither was English life - but I do love both countries and would happily live in either -and use my right to vote in whichever I can.  Well done on the passport work, I for one will be eternally grateful - you should be proud of yourself.  Bronte, Varian, Troy and Mablob Cooperlola thank you too, they love living here.

Cerise - I so agree with you about doing "little things", wherever you are, whatever you can. Congratulations on being part of the success to get rid of quarantine for pets! Of course, similar things happened when the suffragettes chained themselves to the railings, they were not too popular at the time.
As for France, of course women did not get the vote until 1946!

Cooperlola - As a French citizen, I will of course vote in the next presidential  election, although I don't feel that it is going to make any great ripples. I feel much more effective when  talking to people in the market over some local issues, or fly-posting to advertise a local event or effort, or when we all celebrate some low-key achievement together. It feels more real, and is more gratifying. I love France, and this is where I want to live!

But don't forget everybody, as EU citizens,  you CAN vote in local elections here in France, and in European elections!  

5-element, somehow the meetings I attend here don't feel so much of a waste of time as I go to them voluntarily! Also, I don't have to travel so far.  In the old days I would often have to travel from the South East to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, you name it, and resented all the travelling time (and expense, valuable resources wasted etc) just to have what could be on occasions, inconclusive meeings about things!

I understand you feelings about voting, it sometimes feels like such a little insignificant thing but when I think of countries where people do not have this right - and the blood and effort spilt by others on my behalf in the past - I feel a  sort of moral obligation to do it and am always surprised at people who sound off about government etc but then say voting is a waste of time.  If all those people voted instead of staying at home - they might be surprised at the outcome.  Although I also do not subscribe to the idea that they have "no right to comment" - free speech is something we should value very dearly, even if what some people say makes you toes curl!  What tiny turns-out there seem to be in the UK - and is it so much of an effort?  Hobby-horse, sorry!

But you are right, Cerise has proved it, lobby groups can be equally (if not more) effective - if you feel really strongly about something, do something about it!  And as I posted earlier - say what you think - if you change just one person's mind, that's a triumph.  From little acorns...

My favourite benign conspiracy theory:

Tony Blair needed a respected figure to undertake a review of the RUC in Northern Ireland. He choose the respected former conservative cabinet minister and Governor of Hong Kong, Chris Patten, who is helpfully (for Ulster) a catholic.

There is a problem - Chris Patten has been living in France since coming back from Hong Kong because he has two dogs, Whiskey and Soda he cannot bring to the UK without six months quarantine...

“I am prepared to undertake your review, Tony” says Chris, “But only if I can bring my dogs back to the UK. Can you get rid of the daft and unnecessary quarantine rules”.

Tony asks the head of the civil service why the UK has daft and unnecessary quarantine rules?

“No reason” says the mandarin, “lots of people like Cerise want them to change, but we can’t be bothered”.

“Change them now”, says our PM, and tells Chris Patten to bring the dogs over.

Chris accepts the RUC review and then goes on to be an EU commissioner.

The above is purely my surmise. Our lurcher met Whiskey in later life but Whiskey only barked that whilst I might say that but he could not possibly comment.

Gus mate - you are not far wrong[:D]  But who cares too much how it happened, we got there in the end.   It always help if someone important is bothered by your cause.  See what has happened with road safety in France since (sadly) some ministers relative was a victim. 

I hadn't thought about free CDs etc - but true I miss my shiny mags on the rare occasions I but English papers.