A pension question - true or false

Bugsy

There is a tale going round that dear Gordon Brown has made a proposal to stop paying the old age pension to ex-pats who have been out of the UK for over ten years prior to the date the pension would normally be paid.

Scary stuff if it's true, but I have searched  and can find no reference to it.

Does anyone know ?

Yes we do, well in our case 'did' have the right to vote, I think for up to 15 years, certainly 10 years.

I keep hearing this about pensions, but I don't think that it could apply to people living in the EU, it could apply to those further afield though.

[quote user="Just Katie "]Do you ex pat guys have the right to vote in Britain?[/quote]

For a few years yet, yes, but I declined to register as:

A) I don't pay tax there, and;

2) No longer really have much clue what's going on there, and care less;

so I'd feel a bit of a fraud, really.

Still, I'd like the (albeit small) spoils of my 15 years NI contributions.

Anyway as EVERYONE knows, UK bods living overseas are, without

exception, Conservative or UKIP voters and therefore not a constituency

Mr Brown needs to worry about....

Not sure what voting in the UK has to do with the original post,  but this proposal is very much yesterday's news or now even last year's news.  It was one of the options being considered in the spring of last year by a Commons committee or the DWP looking at the problems of the future pensions defecit, nothing has been heard of it since and it sems to have been dropped in place of the proposed older pension age and compulsory pension plans for young people.

One thing that has been confirmed though, which seems to fly in the face of these proposals is that you are being advised NOT to pay additional NI to receive a full pension if you have already paid over 30 years NI, as it now seems likely that the contribution level for a full pension will be reduced from 44 years to 30, so a lot of us might something to thank Gordon Brown for.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

it now seems likely that the contribution level for a full pension will be reduced from 44 years to 30

[/quote]

Does anyone know if, for instance, you have contributed for 29 years (as I have), that would mean I would get the pro-rata of a full pension? i.e. 29/30th?

Thanks Cassis - useful for others, but too late for me, I wish pension was for 2010!!!

I've done stupid things like getting divorced and then re-married at the wrong time, so I lost all the years from Husband Number 1. All very complicated, and I read the small print after rather than before, so I got well diddled.[:'(]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

Not sure what voting in the UK has to do with the original post,  but this proposal is very much yesterday's news or now even last year's news.  It was one of the options being considered in the spring of last year by a Commons committee or the DWP looking at the problems of the future pensions defecit, nothing has been heard of it since and it sems to have been dropped in place of the proposed older pension age and compulsory pension plans for young people.

[/quote]

Thanks Ron............................

We voted for as long as we could as we believe in voting. AND we had never emigrated anyway and always planned on returning, don't know if that made a difference to us or not, we just did vote for around 20 years. And we voted in whatever elections we could vote in France once we got that right.