Questionnaire of British citizens who wish to settle in France

Simon

Hello,

I am a French student and I am currently completing a Bachelor's degree of International Business Communication in England.

I am conducting a questionnaire survey about British citizens whish to settle in France. To be filled in ONLY by British citizens who are at present non resident in France but whish to settle in this country in the future (or who think that one day they might do so)

If you are interesting to answer my questionnaire, please ckick to the link below:

My questionnaire is now close

This is a very short questionnaire with 10 questions.

Your participation would be appreciated and will be very useful for my study.

Thank you very much

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

For people who are interesting to see my results, this is a glimpse which can provide some interesting information:

1. Have you already visited France?

Response Percent

yes

97.6%

no

2.4%

1. In what type of area would you like to live?

Response Percent

countryside

48.8%

seaside

7.3%

near a village

53.7%

in a village

43.9%

near a small town

41.5%

in a town

7.3%

in a city

0%

1. Would it be a first home or a second home?

Response Percent

first

33.3%

second

30.8%

second then first

33.3%

other

2.6%

1. What motives will affect your choice of home?

Response Percent

quality of environment

89.2%

proximity of your workplace

5.4%

property prices

37.8%

presence of other British residents

0%

low cost transport

10.8%

Other (please specify)

32.4%

6. Question 5

1. What kind of house do you intend to buy (or rent)?

Response Percent

an old house to restore

48.6%

a new house

13.5%

land to build your own house on

18.9%

a flat

5.4%

castle

0%

Other (please specify)

21.6%

1. If you intend to purchase, about what amount would you be prepared to pay?

Response Percent

£ 80,000 - 120,000

37.8%

£ 121,000 - 160,000

21.6%

£ 161,000 - 200,000

16.2%

£ 201,000 or +

13.5%

Other (please specify)

10.8%

1. Which of the following reasons would be important in your decision to settle in France?

Response Percent

professional

8.6%

family

37.1%

health service

20%

life style

80%

property prices

37.1%

standard of living

51.4%

affinity for French people

60%

climate

54.3%

presence of other British nationals

0%

presence of others members of the family

8.6%

low cost transport

5.7%

Other (please specify)

8.6%

1. What difficulties could change yours plans to settle in France?

Response Percent

cost of accomodation

11.1%

financial plan

25%

difficulty with house hunting

2.8%

lack of assistance with settling in France

5.6%

language

11.1%

french bureaucratie

50%

Other (please specify)

36.1%

1. In which age group are you?

Response Percent

18-24

2.8%

25-34

5.6%

35-49

36.1%

50-64

52.8%

65-74

2.8%

75+

0%

1. Do you intend to work in France?

Response Percent

yes

19.4%

no

50%

maybe

25%

I don't know

5.6%

Questionnaire is inspired by Gervais-Aguer, M.M. (2006) 'Prospective Analysis: Residential choice and territorial attractiveness' Cahier du Gres, Cahier no  2006 - 30

It is great to have feedback on the responses, thanks. 

As with most "social science" questionnaires there are usually very few surprises.  That seems to be the case here.  Although we don't know how representative the sample is, I guess we can discuss without worrying about that.  For example, the response that always attracts me is "other".   One surprise for me is the answer to the question " Which of the following reasons would be important in your decision to settle in France?"   Unlike nearly all other kinds of immigrants to a strange country, NONE, not one, of the Brits admit that being near other Brits is important.  NONE.  Not one.  And also NONE of the responses say that the choice of home would have anything to do with being near Brits. Given all the other kinds of immigrants and their patterns, which we know from France, Britain and America (for example), how can this be so?  What makes these British immigrants so utterly unanimous that having other Brits around the place is anything whatever to do with their choices?  Is it true?  Do no Brits whatever want to have the company of those who speak their mother tongue and share a cultural history?  Turks often live together.  Chinese famously have Chinatowns.  In America every set of immigrants has their own area before they begin to spread out a bit.  I need not mention the clustering of immigrants in Britain.  In France, well, you don't get a lot of African immigrnats in the countryside, they go to cities.  Maybe its just that most Brits don't work or are unlikely to.  Maybe they are all just a bit richer than most other immigrants.  Other immigrants all want help from their people, countrymen or fellow villagers who have been there before and know the ropes.  I find it terrifically interesting that NOT ONE Brit says that having  other Brits around has anything to do with their choice. 

Maybe the answer is so obvious I am missing something.  How can the Brits in France be so different to every other set of immigrants.  And we know that once Brits arrive, they do tend to have just a few more British freinds than the average French person.  Don't we?

Mind you, the 2.4%, which might mean one response, never visited France before moving here.  Strange.  And not one single response says they would like to live in a city.  That's really weird, in my mind.  I know there are Brits in cities.  Not a big surprise that only 7.3% want to live in a town, although I do.

I think that the selection of the sample is an important question. On at least one other forum I suspect that many responders would state that they wanted to be near other Brits. The sample is self-selecting, in that sense, as most of us here deny that as a motive (whether or not that is true or a case of trying to meet forum norms is another matter) and those who might say that are inhibited from doing so.

Be fair, school project research. He has to start somewhere, and he won't have the time and resources to conduct a proper survey. I expect that his teacher/supervisor is much more interested in how well he can draw justifiable conclusions from what he finds.

Oops!  Oh David Skrela, Talent d'Or!  Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

Pity he didn't include a question along the lines of:

"Might you be so bored - or boring - as to have to spend every waking moment on an English-speaking internet forum, taking every opportunity to comment on anything and everything, whether or not you had something useful to say?"