Colouring beams...

A friend who is resident in France has coloured the beams in his house with a nice dark oak colour (not paint). He bought the stuff from Bricomarche. It is soooo expensive! (Can't remember what it is called)

Does anybody know of a less expensive product in England that is good for colouring beams?

Dick,

Beautiful beams, lovely collumbage wall (is it real?) carrellage very nice, general ambiance really very good (I was an interior designer, so high praise indeed) but do my eyes deceive me ( and i really hope they do).....PVC double glazing...tell me it aint so?

Nice house, 

Aly

Yes, it is PVC. Because we aren't there for a lot of the year and it gets damp, also to keep costs down. The colombage is faux, at one end, and vrai at the other. Essentially big oak planks screwed to the wall and plastered between. Very much 'dressed' rather than functional.

Before moving over to France we lived in an incredibly old (16th century) listed cottage.

In the sitting room we had a high shelf which ran the length of one wall about a foot from the ceiling, just the right height for books...you know where this is going, don't you?  It was a perfect camoflage(?sp).... Something old looking, coloured to match your lovely beams etc. might look authentic, especially if you dressed it with some old French books from Emmaus!

I did much the same thing in our house here over the windows downstairs and they really do look most original.

Incidentally, when we built stud walls to make bedrooms etc, we added faux collumbage to all of them. It really makes them look as if they are part of the original house.

However you do it, have fun,

Aly