• 2 weeks later...

Only just seen this so forgive digging up old posting!  Twenty-odd years ago I had a pub in middx, a late 18thc place, nothing ancient, but it had a Visitor.  At the time I was on my tod with two small kids when my eldest (about 4 years old) would say stuff to me like "Old Charlie came to see me last night Mummy and sat on my bed.."  I thought it was imaginary friends time, but other weird stuff began to happen, like random lights in the pub would be on in the morning, even though we switched them all off on the switch panel using two sweeps of the hand.  My dog refused to go near the cellar entrances. Then there were the instances where the washing machine and the glasswashers were turned off at the mains - both had really stiff brass taps that I couldn't shift let alone the kids doing it - yet the things were turned off so tightly that I had to get a plumber in to open them again.   In the meantime my son would regularly say that Old Charlie had been to see him and had spoken to him about all sorts of things then played with the toys in his room.    Hmmmmmm.

Spookiest of all came the  night my barman and I were bottling-up for the morning and he went off down to the cellar to load some crates onto the cellar lift as a barmaid and I washed up and tidied away in the bar.    We then heard him say something like "Oi. Pack up messing about you two.  Leave that door alone will you???"      We poked out heads through the cellar trap and said something like "what are you talking about you idiot?....", the barman's face turned white as a sheet and he literally flew up the cellar lift in a state of panic.    Apparently he was in the bottle store which was partitioned off from the barrel store.  It had huge doors with a large iron handle - a handle that was banging up and down as though someone was trying to get in!!   Ooooooerrrrr.  Suffice it to say nobody ever went down there alone again and even when I left the new people had similar experiences with Old Charlie.

We later discovered from a very old gentleman who lived nearby that many many years before an old man had hanged himself in the pub's garage/barn, but he meant no harm to us and he was obviously a good pal to my son whose father had just done a bunk.  Anyway, I am wondering what Old Charlie is doing now as the pub was demolished 8 years ago and is now about ten flats instead. Bet he is have a great time with all those taps and washing machines.