Illegal Abri du Jardin

Evianers

We received a slap on the wrist from the Mairie for erecting an illegal abri du jardin - only problem is, it wasn't us, it is our next door neighbours who gain access to their house down a pan-handle which passes the side of our house. We asked the agents to intervene [after all, that's why they take heaps of money from us monthly] which they did, more or less successfully. Today in the post comes a letter from our agent, enclosing letter from the Mairie and a photograph of newly erected wooden abri du jardin, replacing the tin one of previously. BUT it is still right on our boundary. Question is: is there not a law in France generally which prohibits buildings being erected less than 2 meters from a neighbour's boundary? All help gratefully acknowledged and TIA

No. A building has to either be built slap bang on the border of a neighbouring property or at least 3m away(this could be wrong but its not a lot less. I know as I have a bungalow built right on our border with the exterior wall on that fasçade as our boundary now.We had no choice in the matter as if they had built on the 3m(or whatever) distance they could not have built the second bungalow on that parcel of land. We also have to allow access to maintain the building if needs be but after a wally tried to pressure wash it with bleach and ruined our fence panel and killed some plants,I will refuse or try to stop that particular treatment in future as it is not necessary.

Believe it or not [you probably wont] it was the Mairie who enclosed a copy of the photograph which the agent sent on to us. Now is it illegal or isn't it? Before writing back to the Maire, we need to know the exact boundaries for construction of a shed. Done a search and cannot find anything which says yah or nay. So confusing, especially as we don't live there yet.....