property prices/health care

ann49

Hi, I've been reading this forum, especially the health care issues, very confusing & worrying and I was wondering if any of you feel that this issue is having any real effect on the housing market in france yet? We have been planning a move to France for sometime now but are certainly very concerned about not being able to join the health care system ( conflicting advice about accessing health care as self employed people)

"We have been planning a move to France for sometime now but are

certainly very concerned about not being able to join the health care

system ( conflicting advice about accessing health care as self

employed people)"

If you are properly registered in France as self employed I can't see any problems in joining the French health system. Once you register it will happen automatically.

Re: joining the State Health System - as derf says.  Even if coming as an inactif it it looking increasingly like you would only need private insurance between the end of any E106 and the 5 years residency point anyway.  It is an important issue and people are quite rightly pursuing it but it sounds like it will not affect you.

As for property prices - I doubt it will have any impact.  British buyers are small in number compared to French buyers.  Then a percentage of those British will be coming over to start companies, etc. (i.e. no choice but to be in the State Health System).  More will be retired (and thus on E121 forms).  Quite a few will be purchasing holiday homes.  Then for others it would only be 3 years private insurance - which, as people are moving then can plan and budget for.  Just look at the No 10 petition.  Around 1000 signatures - and then remember that some will have voted more than once, some will have voted once for each partner, etc..  And the details of the petition have been pretty widely circulated.

Ian

Yes, Ann that is true.  I have studied about 30 different private schemes in the last couple of months, and none will countenance taking on chronic conditions except under certain circumstances or at vast cost.

The cost of private healthcare in comparison to the UK is in fact spurious, as the NHS is always there as a safety net for these conditions, and the costs of long-term use of medications, for instance, continues to be paid for by the state, even if one has private cover.