How do you feel about France now ?

[quote user="tigerfeet"]

Yes RH I admit it is petty

But what the French are doing to thousand of British people who have invested many thousands of pounds in France is a lot more than petty.

You do not realise how angry this makes me feel.

[/quote]

I take it you mean the French administration... or do you really resent the actions of French people?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="pimpernel"]

I think that threads such as these can also be split down to people who have retired to France and people who have come to work in France.  Even the French complain about the obstacles that are put in front of anyone with any entrepenurial spirit. People who move here and start businesses and especially if they wish to employ will come up against far more frustration than someone who rises at 10 has a few glasses of wine, potters about in the garden , sits down in the evening and watches english television before going to bed after another hard day.[/quote]

Pimpernel I agree it is not the same for these two groups.  But it's not all there is.

What about, shock horror, coming here and not starting a business OR retiring??? How about just getting a job?  Don't tell me, there are no jobs in rural backwaters?  Well it's the same the world over.  There are lots of Brits in their 20s and 30s in the bigger cities who work.  Ok, so you need to speak French, but apart from that, there is work out there.  Of course, they don't have time to post on sites like this...

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="sweet 17"]You attract to yourself a lot of the things that happen to you.[/quote]

No, I can't agree with that. I really can't.  I wish you hadn't said it.

[/quote]

Tresco, I really don't think you can totally bin Sweet 17's theory in this case.  A rather mature woman who I work with was moaning the other day infront of me and 10 male colleagues. 

"I hate men", she said, "They are all 'bar stewards'".  I took this as being a rather sweeping statement.

"No" I said, "you cannot say that about ALL men".

To which, she got kind of ruffled, stuck her heels in and said, EVERY man she had EVER met had been mean to her.

In my view, I think with that blinkered attitude MOST men would be mean to her.  I know my 10 male colleagues were horrified and what little respect they had for her in the first place had now been diminished.

Similarly, we see sweeping statements on this forum about France.

Do you think that is why France is bad for these people, because of their negative perception of the place?

Katie, what Sweet 17 said wasn't a 'theory'. If someone wants to point me to the evidence which confirms that 'you attract to yourself a lot of what happens to you' then I'll be happy to wade through it.

The example you give, well, the woman didn't keep saying 'every' man. She shifted from 'all men' to 'every man she had ever met'once you had challenged her

I bet she is thinking about that stance too, now. [;-)]

There are some things, as I said before, that just 'trip' off the tongue. We all do it, but it doesn't make it right, just because it happens so readily, as you found with your colleague.