Why I like France so much

Went to the local Bricolage yesterday to buy some DIY stuff.  Spent 240 Eur ish which is what £200?  Not a huge amount......

The guy at the counter remarked (in French) that I had a big job to do.  (Biggest item was a hedge trimmer...)

Then he reached under the counter and put a bottle of red into my bag and commented "for after the work". [B]

Can you imagine B&Q doing that?  Brown the clown would have a field day.

[quote user="RicandJo"]

Went to the local Bricolage yesterday to buy some DIY stuff.  [/quote]

Yes but this was your local diy shop ... Our m bricolage - small shop crammed with just about everything - was an essential part of our installation here in the summer of 2005; we really would have had problems without his helpful input and the fact that we could buy 3 screws if we needed just 3 screws. If we needed to know something then we asked m bricolage, then afterwards when we met him on our Sunday pm walk he would ask how our latest bit of diy had gone. Can't beat it.

Sue [:)]

The personal touch is still alive and kicking in France and often extends beyond the shop itself especially if you use local commerces in the vicinity.They will also go out ofo their way to get special orders in for you too as I wanted a 67cm BBQ grill this week to replace the old one and the Catena chap offered to get one ordered specially for us and rang up there and then with a promise to ring us when it arrives.

I have to say that B&Q is a very generous company and they certainly look after their staff...

My youngest son works for them and as he still lives at home, we enjoy a 20% discount on everything. But added to that, they hold occasional 'friends and family' events. Each member of staff has four tickets to give out to family and/or friends. These tickets provide the holder with a 20% discount for the event, plus entry into a free draw. Last evening, I bought a huge blue glazed pot for chez nous. It started life at £16.99, but as there was a store promotion of 15% off all garden pots, it was down to £14.45. Then, using the event ticket, it brought it down to £11.56 - very generous!

Yes, I accept this was only beneficial to friends and family of staff, but how many other companies do that kind of thing?

AND - for everybody who is 60 or over, the company provides special cards that gives the holder a 10% discount on everything each and every Thursday!

I was impressed when we bought a fair amount of goods from conforama..washing machine fridge freezer tv etc.They charged only 10 euro for delivery and when they delivered they bought all the goods in with no packaging for us to worry about.Put the washing machine and freezer in place then set the washing machine up,and it was ready just to switch on.Great service!

[quote user="Mel"]

AND - for everybody who is 60 or over, the company provides special cards that gives the holder a 10% discount on everything each and every Thursday![/quote]

What a shame no one on this Forum is over 60.... [Www]

[quote user="Mel"] AND - for everybody who is 60 or over, the company provides special cards that gives the holder a 10% discount on everything each and every Thursday![/quote]

I think most DIY companies in the Uk do the same, Mel.  Certainly our local Focus gives us 10% off, but only on Tuesday (local market day).

Just to add, we bought a cooker from our local HyperU and they delivered it and installled it free of charge and took away the packaging too.  Plus this was the week running up to Christmas!

Also received similar service when we first moved here from out local electrical store, who delivered our new washing maching and dishwasher free, installed it and also took away our old washing machine, all on the same day as we purchased them.