Paypal

I have recieved an Email from Paypal advising me that my account needs to be updated due to new European money laundering regulations. What concerns me is that when I go to my account they are asking me to send a copy of my passport and a proof of address ( household bill). I am worried about sending this sort of information. Has anyone else received this notification .

Redcap

Sounds suspiciously like like a phishing scam to me.

You say you logged into your Paypal A\C, please please say that you DIDN'T do it from a link in the email [:'(]

If you did go this instant and change your password - I hope it's not too late [:-))]

I've just looked at my A\C and there is nothing I can see about any 'new money laundering regulations' nor requests for any documentation.

Report the email to [email protected]

Was this the message ?

PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations to collect information from customers when they receive more than the set limit in total payments. Please log into your account, go to the Account Overview page, and follow the instructions there about how to provide the required information. These steps need to be completed as soon as possible to comply with this regulation.

If you have any trouble completing these steps, please contact Customer Service at 00 353 1 436 9111

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department

Valid photo ID
Passport
Driver's License
National Identity Card 
Proof of address
Utility Bill

A genuine Paypal message will be addressed to you personally, using your first and last name as registered with Paypal. So if it isn't personally addressed, it is 100% certain to be a fake. See here for Paypal's own guide - Parts 2 and 3 are useful too.

[quote user="redcap"]

Hi Ernie Y

Yes thats the email and no I haven't opened it in my email account but it does come up in my paypal account if that makes sense.

redcap

[/quote]

Where is the message section in Paypal?  Just checked my account and I do not seem to have a section for messages from them.

It has got to be 100% scam.  I have received a number of these, progressively warning that my account will be stopped.  In fact the last one said that my account had been stopped. 

I have never had a paypal account.

[quote user="redcap"]

Hi Ernie Y

Yes. I have just checked again.

[/quote]Something is definately not right, as witsinfr says their is no message area in Paypal. If they want to contact you it will be by email addressed to you personally by name.

Are you absolutely sure you're on the official paypal site.

I'm logged in at the mo and in the address line it says:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-done&login_access=1212514676

This definitely seems dodgy! [:-))]

We were asked to confirm our bank details once we had achieved a certain sales figure (£5,000+), but there was absolutley no mention of providing passports etc. and this was done via access on our 'my ebay' page, which has the link to our Paypal account.

There are numerous attempts to 'phish' for information, and this seems to be a classic example. If in doubt - do nowt!

See 'here' for more details.

It would be very wise to forward the email to [email protected] or [email protected]  who will confirm whether it is/is not a genuine request.