Petrole Heaters

Up until April we were able to but (edit - Buy) paraffin for the heaters at most brico places.  It seemed to disappear overnight and at the same time the garages here started selling something called ‘Petrole Lampant’ or something like that.  Is this the same stuff.  I ask because on the pump at the station there is a sticker which says not suitable for mobile units.  All of our heaters are mobile.  Have Leclerc stopped selling the 20L drums of it?

We don't use the stuff, but as far as I can see from googling Petrole lampant it is paraffin.   http://dictionary.reverso.net/french-english/p%C3%A9trole%20lampant

Why you can't use it in mobile kit I have no idea?

We have always been totally amaised that the supermarkets have thousands of litres of it piled up near the checkouts. The English health and safety would have a fit if it was tried there. There would be a mountain of EU regs against it, not even thinking of the fire regs!![:-))]

The secondary effect of the sale of all the paraffin is, of course, all the dehumidifier things to get rid of the gallons of water the paraffin throws into the air when it's burned! Talk about "it all makes work for the working man to do"?

[quote user="powerdesal"]We found the same instant shortage a few weeks ago, When I asked I was told ...."Its summer"... no more petrole until next winter.  [:(]
[/quote]It's no different to the brico's rotating the wood burners and electric radiators etc, with the garden furniture, inflatable pools, and barbecues according to the season.

I've still got a SuperSur portable gas heater kicking around somewhere and I guess I can get bottles to fit it here although they probably wouldn't take my existing one in exchange. I have also got a 110kw space heater for those chilly days in the garage and that will run on petrole or diesel.

You remind me, Little Ern of many years ago and a house warming given by a motor trade chum in his new bungalow.

By midnight and with no central heating, the stragglers or determined boozers I suppose [:D] were complaining of feeling cold.

Whereupon our host wheeled out his workshop Master Redy Heater (paraffin space heater) and plugged it in!

Certainly warmed up the bungalow in no time: not sure what his bricks and mortar insurers would have thought!