Compulsory insurance for a ride on mower

[quote user="woolybananasbrother"]The local marie says that they want all owners and riders of these mowers to pass a test and get a licence as of 2009. Anyone else heard this?[/quote]

I heard that wooly, I have been contacted by the maire to arrange a test.  I shall have to practice quite a bit with my trailer attached as I can never remember which way to turn the wheels when reversing, apparently it's a more stringent test if you want to tow a trailer.  I had a sneaky look at the theory questions, one of which says "Who has right of way, push mower, wheel barrow or ride-on?"

So many rules and regulations, next we will have to go for a Controle Technique.  My nearest is about 10 miles away, it will take me ages.

[quote user="Bugbear"]AI, enough said......................................[:)][/quote]Bit unfair BB, granted it's on the AI site but it's not them saying it is it but a (hopefully authoritative) source.

Having read the legal ruling the motivation is noble enough although it seems overly nannyish to apply it to all ride on mowers. The bigger 'mini tractor' types certainly present fairly obvious dangers but as far as the baby ones go I think you'd have to try quite hard to hurt someone with one.

And why stop there; some of the bigger lawn mowers are potentially hazardous so why not insurance for those too ?

I just wonder how many people actually know about this requirement and of those who do how many actually have it, anyone here for instance ?

Just an insurance agent trying it on with the must gullible, law abiding and naive group of customers, I wonder why it was written in English?[:)]

Even the headline "ride on mowers require insurance" (or whatever it was) has a question mark at the end of it.

Accidents caused whilst being used on your property or cutting the verge outside (i,e, not tootling off to the local estaminet) would be covered by your house insurance, if the policy excludes motorised transport in such terms as to include ride on mowers then the insurer must make this clear.

One can ride a mini quad, pocket bike, ride on lawnmower or home built jet propelled soap box cart on ones own property without being obliged to insure it.

I suggest anyone concerned visit their existing insurance office to see what reception they get to their enquiry rather than contact the agent advertising thi bespoke policy, my bet is they will be laughed at.