Beware of Greeks bearing gifts

babcock

I have been hearing some tales about newcomers being befriended and given lots of help(communications with utilities, banks and translations etc) followed by a bill. I have no problem with this as long as it is known up front. If someone is too nice to you make sure that you understand whether payment is expected.

babcock, thank you for the warning, I will tell others.

Just one minor point though - I am afraid that the phrase you used as a title in now considered very politically inacceptable as it presupposes that Greeks might be dishonest which we all know to be totally untrue. Why not use Scots for example or French or BELGIANS? Or even WELSH. Remember that Taffy was a ..

You could always welsh on the deal before taking french leave and getting off scot free.

Seriously, why should people not be rewarded for providing a useful service? As long as, as the original post says, it's clear in the first place. But I would have expected the assumption to be that you would pay for a service provided - as often there are costs involved in travelling, phone calls, post etc, so it ought to be established before doing anything whether or not it is free. 'Something for nothing' seems to be a common expectation among certain foreigners in France.

[quote user="babcock"]If someone is too nice to you make sure that you understand whether payment is expected.[/quote]

I've had interpersonal relationships a bit like that....

How about hoodies? No-one likes them.

Apart from other hoodies.

"Beware of hoodies who don't stick a knife between your shoulder blades and film it with their stolen mobile phones."

[quote user="babcock"]I have been hearing some tales about newcomers being befriended and given lots of help(communications with utilities, banks and translations etc) followed by a bill. I have no problem with this as long as it is known up front. If someone is too nice to you make sure that you understand whether payment is expected.[/quote]

Everyone I meet expects me to do these things for nothing... and I do, what a prat I am, I will now write up several bills!  Thye also make it sound like it's a two minute job, it never is..

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"][quote user="babcock"]If someone is too nice to you make sure that you understand whether payment is expected.[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps you could start a new thread on this one Riffy boyo

[quote user="Just Katie"]

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"][quote user="babcock"]If someone is too nice to you make sure that you understand whether payment is expected.[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps you could start a new thread on this one Riffy boyo

[/quote]

Not on a family-friendly forum like this I fear.

[quote user="woolybananasbrother"]

Yes I couldnt agree more, but since the controversy over the lovely phrase 'Spanish practices', I find it my unfortunate duty to get my knife into the PC brigade wherever possible. So perhaps you might try 'Geeks' as they seem as unloved a group as it is possible to be.

[/quote]

Oi!! Leave us geeks alone!

And Shakespeare, on the whole, was Double Dutch to me when I was in school.  Mind you, I rather enjoy reading the odd sonnet now and again just for the beauty of the language.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?[:D]"  Fantastic!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

And Shakespeare, on the whole, was Double Dutch to me when I was in school.  Mind you, I rather enjoy reading the odd sonnet now and again just for the beauty of the language.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?[:D]"  Fantastic!

[/quote]

You are so right. I didn't like Dickens when I was young. Now I wonder why Oliver Twist hasn't been remade in an up to date situation. Drugs instead instead of thieving. Shakepeare - I did Julius Ceasar for 'O' level and it had such depth. It was incredible that it had been written at that time

[quote user="babcock"]I have been hearing some tales about newcomers being befriended and given lots of help(communications with utilities, banks and translations etc) followed by a bill. I have no problem with this as long as it is known up front. If someone is too nice to you make sure that you understand whether payment is expected.[/quote]

Perhaps the newcomers asked for the help and were a bit slow in the showing some gratitude stakes. Next time people tell you these tales, ask them whether they'd already volunteered to cover the actual cost of telephone calls, fuel, time spent writing letters, and what they'd already done in the way of a thank you gesture - a couple of bottles of good quality red, perhaps... or a bottle of reasonable quality champagne.

Perhaps the people getting the bills are spongers who got their just desserts... and l'addition. [:P]

However, since you've raised the matter it's worth making the point that if the provider of these services is resident in France but is not registered to supply these services then the bill probably isn't worth the paper it's written on. No SIRET, no signed devis, no payment.

If there is no Siret number on it, you can be sure that these 'kind' people are offering their services on the black - so no need to pay if you haven't already agreed some arrangement !