electricity and mini ovens

My daughter is going to be moving into a flat in France, and according to the information she has received, it just has hot plates and no oven.  She wants to buy a mini oven to take over.  I thought she might be better waiting and getting one over there, just for the plugs.  But the other thing which concerns me is that French electricity always looks really dodgy.  Plugs always look like they are falling out of the sockets.  Also, when we were camping a few weeks ago, the kettle blew the fuse on the electric hook up.  Are British electrical goods more powerful?  So, what do you think would we be better getting a mini oven in England or waiting until we get to France.  Also, can anyone recommend any mini ovens.  We have come across them in gites and flats we have rented but I've only really used them for tartiflette.  My daughter is likely to want to do roasts, pies, pizza's, cakes - are these mini ovens good enough?  I've not really come across them in England - only in France.  Thanks.

We survived on a convection microwave oven for 18 months, did roasts, pizzas etc very nicely. In fact we still use it even though we have a proper oven now. Just simpler, quicker to heat and smaller. Think we paid about €300 for it 3 years back. We only use the big oven if we have guests round. So basically it gets used once or twice a year!

French power is the same as UK, 240V.

[quote user="Jill"]But the other thing which concerns me is that French electricity always looks really dodgy.  Plugs always look like they are falling out of the sockets.  Also, when we were camping a few weeks ago, the kettle blew the fuse on the electric hook up.  Are British electrical goods more powerful?[/quote]

Dodgy electrics are bad news anywhere. Old French electrics can involve a lot of head-scratching, but any doubts, have the system checked out.

And British electrical goods aren't more powerful - 2 kilowatt is 2 kilowatt is 2 kilowatt. On 240 volts (nominal UK) that will draw 8 amps - French 230 volts it will still draw under 9 amps. So the difference in real terms is negligible.

A combi oven/microwave may be the way to go.

[quote user="Jill"]

... the kettle blew the fuse on the electric hook up.  Are British electrical goods more powerful?  So, what do you think would we be better getting a mini oven in England or waiting until we get to France. [/quote]

Electric kettles in France can often have a lower wattage rating ie 2 Kw instead of the more usual 3 Kw in the UK - so take longer to come the boil but can suit the French system of electric supply better. As an example when we arrived 3 years ago we brought our UK kettle as the gite we rented initially only had a kettle usable on the gas hob and a 12Kw electric supply. But when we moved into our permanent home we found our 3 Kw kettle used up 'too much' of our precious 9Kw supply and would cause the supply to cut out if, in winter, the electric heaters were on also the washing machine and I wanted a cup of tea, so we bought a 2Kw kettle instead. Our French neighbours only have 6 Kw supply and no problems, but then they don't have a kettle and their coffee-maker is rated at 800 w.

We use 2 mini ovens - one bought at Super U for 40 euros with one shelf and one bought at Lidl with 2 shelves for 30 euros - as the house has no big oven. We also have a UK bought combination microwave in the garage - no room in our kitchen - which we use about 3 times a year for roasting the odd chicken.

Sue