How does post travel France /UK?

I don't know for certain ... but I do recall many years ago visiting the Post Office headquarters near St Pauls. In the international sorting office mail for France was being sorted by French postal districts, even by Paris arrondissements. I was told that most European mail went by air - largely by flag carriers as airfreight. I was told that there is no need to use an airmail sticker since it will go by air anyway.Since then, Royal Mail has largely closed down its rail operation, preferring to use road haulage and a fleet of aircraft based at East Midlands Airport. If the tunnel is involved it will only be as a ferry for road freight.

Yes, virtually all mail within Europe goes by air. Large parcels are the only things that go by surface mail - though Royal Mail will tell you that underpaid European mail is delayed because it goes by surface rather than air.

Senders of bulk mailings, like HMRC, frequently use forwarding agents for foreign mail. This often proves both more efficient and more economical, if the agent is in a country with comparatively low postal rates. HMRC uses a forwarding agent based in Malmo for its European mail.