NOT MARRIED !

londoneye

Hi all

My partner and i are moving to france in couple of months.

House is in my name as I have been only one working for a few years now.      When I signed on for electric etc I also put these in my name - out of habit really as i do all the finance stuff generally.   

Can anyone foresee any problems this may cause - an example; i know my partner wont be eligible for E106 form.  Assume i will be, but unfortunately didnt research this before and hadnt accounted for how long it seems to take to get one.   Understand that fact that we are not married will probably mean he wont be entitled to cover under my provisions....   fact that the house etc is in my name, is this going to cause him any problems with getting into the french system, healthcare or otherwise, does anyone know?

I know about inheritance etc and since we are both childless neither of us have a great issue with this.   However, if there is anything else which might cause problems i would appreciate someone letting me know; similarly if there is anything we can do about it (without getting married that is !)

thanks for any responses in advance.

This is my take on the matter;

Assuming you are a Woman (sorry & all that), your partner will only be entitled to healthcare based on his own contributions either in France or the UK. If he has no contribution record, he will need to join the French system (and pay) on whatever basis he wishes (employment, voluntary, retired, self-employed or whatever). However, if you work self-employed your partner can (even if he is male...!) be included as a "conjoint collaberateur", provided he does not work. If you are employed, then again, he would need to make his own arrangements.

I hope this makes sense. There are other possibilities (has he been long-term sick?), but you really would need to talk to Newcastle about them.

thanks - i am a woman (I think !) and he is male.

He has not worked in UK for long time; various jobs abroad so will not have UK contributions

We will be renovating property - have sufficient savings to live on for couple of years and for all renovation costs but not going to have huge amount left after that.   Assume then he may have some problems in health care front.  Any further thoughts on this one?

For other response - know what you are saying about inheritance.   My family have been made aware all goes to partner and trust them implicitly to see this is done if anything happens to me (dont laugh I know we all hear stories but i dont think i am rich enough to drive them into uncharacteristic mercenary behaviour!).   I will back this up a will, although not sure how much credence that will have in France.

thanks - you can spend so much time reading this site its not true is it !

[quote user="londoneye"]

For other response - know what you are saying about inheritance.   My family have been made aware all goes to partner and trust them implicitly to see this is done if anything happens to me (dont laugh I know we all hear stories but i dont think i am rich enough to drive them into uncharacteristic mercenary behaviour!).   I will back this up a will, although not sure how much credence that will have in France.

[/quote]

It doesn' t matter what you want or what you have written in any will. The French state determines what happens to your property and it will go to your family - who will probably have to sell it to settle the whopping tax bill they will face.

Seek French legal advice.

[quote user="londoneye"]

thanks - i am a woman (I think !) and he is male.

We will be renovating property - have sufficient savings to live on for couple of years and for all renovation costs but not going to have huge amount left after that.   Assume then he may have some problems in health care front.  Any further thoughts on this one?

[/quote]

Well, I'm glad we got that sorted!

Health care in France is by no means universal (as it appears to be in the UK). Without income or contributions then you must subscribe to the French health system, by asking CPAM (and paying - quite alot). They are not obliged to accept you (and they often don't), and the coverage is pretty minimal. Once subscribed you can "top-up" your cover, but this is even more expensive. I would budget a few thousand per year for the 2 of you.

Private health insurance is virtually unheard of, although you may find a UK company willing to cover you.

French health services, once provided are second to none (according to some, such as the WHO).

[quote user="nicktrollope"][quote user="Teamedup"]

French health services, once provided are second to none (according to some, such as the WHO).

Really that is how it works is it?

[/quote]

Sorry? What's the question? How what works?
[/quote]

I think someone has not heard of the World Health Organisation perhaps?

Or perhaps some forum users have found, in their personal experience, that healthcare in France doesn't serve individuals as well as it serves the WHO. Most of us have few complaints, but it is a service in serious crisis, responsible for the major part of France's considerable national debt.

You should really check out the situation - anyone who is not related "in line" (ie parents or children only) will have to pay 60% tax on what they get, and if you want your partner to get it (and you remain unmarried and the state does not gets its way) he will have the same enormous tax to pay, and basically no tax-free "bit". As far as relations are concerned, even siblings are not regarded as "related" for French inheritance purposes, so the same applies. You must not assume that an English (or French) will is enough. You do not have free testament allocation as in UK.

Consult a solicitor who knows English and French law - there are very many ramifications to all this - and better to be wise before the event, as there are ways to minimise the problems. The French notaire will not necessarily help, as many do not understand the English system, ie the right of free testamentary allocation, so cannot sensibly understand the English point of view.

I am registered as a travailleur independente and my partner is covered under my social security number for healthcare, as are the children living with us. He is not a "conjoint collaberateur" either, just dependent on me for the time being as he's looking for work.

From what was said to us, if he hasn't got a ss no of his own for whatever reason then he can claim on mine. I did have to make sure his name was added to the documentation as a dependent, but this was easy enough to do.

Hoverfrog

[quote user="nicktrollope"][quote user="Teamedup"]

Really that is how it works is it?

[/quote]

Sorry? What's the question? How what works?
[/quote]

That once services are provided they are second to none? that is really how it works? in France?  Hmmmmmmm really!