Paperwork

Mr Coeur de Lion

For driving - licence, carte grise,insurance paper and contrôle technique certificate if applicable. Everyday - Carte or Titre de Séjour or passport for shopping with cheques.Can't see an australian driving licence as proof of identity for living in France though, they want to check your french address is correct!

For car insurance is that the little bit of paper that goes on the windscreen or do I need to carry the actual document too?

So the passport is only needed for shopping with cheques? A copper won't want to ask to see it? I actually paid by cheque at Carrefour or some place like that and they asked for id. All I had was my Aussie drivers licence and they accepted it :) It was only for about 300E so it wasn't a lot of money. Haven't been asked for any id at all other than that.

You can be asked for ID in the streets just like that.  So you really should keep your passport with you at all times.

Also I am a little surprised that Carrefour didn't want more ID than that for such an amount. Firms can often want up to two utitily bills as well as proper ID to buy things by cheque.

If you are Australian, you should have an identity card (titre de sejour) which should be all you need for everyday use, as it is photo ID with your address. Europeans (or at least most Europeans) don't have to have this, though many of us do. If you don't have the card, you need to carry a passport and proof of address (e.g. EDF bill). I too have had driving licence accepted as proof of ID, it's not something that is set in stone.

I had always thought that one was obliged to carry identification at

all times in France, but it would seem that this is not actually the

case. In a car, sure: driving licence, carte gris, etc - all required.

On foot - no. One has to be able to provide identification "promptly"

if challenged. In other words, you can heave yourself out of bed of a

Sunday, toddle down to the bakery in your PJs, all without your

passport, carte de whatever. If challenged, you will be obliged to

invite the enquiring Guardian of the Peace back for a cup of PG

(surprising how many of them drink tea - might be a copper thing - not

sure) and a slice of brioche to show the necessary paperwork. I have

never yet been asked for more than my driving licence when paying by

cheque. I have a very honest face.

Don't know how true this is but a local told me that you  only ever have to proove anything to two gendarmes or more and never ever anything to a lone one operating by him/herself. Could be a case of word against word but worth bearing in mind if you are stopped and challenged by a single officer.

Hi, just out of curiosity, do you get the appropriate forms for the carte de sejour form the tresor public or is it somewhere alse.  Although not compulsory, we would like to apply for one, it would seem to make things a whole lot easier. Thanks in advance

kimberley

chadeneirs 17