returning to UK , part time

newbiee

NOt sure where to put this,.... hope Post Bag is ok.

My husband has returned to the UK to work and will be there for some time.  He'll be working PAYE and paying his taxes in the UK.

Who does he need to inform here that he is not, at present, resident in France?  Indeed, is that the best route?   What is the tax situation in France for those working, and paying tax, in the UK.  (He hasn't been working in France at all since we've lived here.)

I will remain in France with our home as my principal residence.  But for the time being (quite some time), my husband will be living in the UK.

Any advice gratefully recived.

If you are living in France and your home is your principal residence you should be registered with, and declaring your world wide income to the French tax authorities. If the income is high enough you will be paying income tax to France.

If so, you would normally also have completed and submitted forms to the UK tax people for a tax refund and exemption from UK tax on UK pensions and earnings.(Double taxation treaty).

If the above applies to you, then in my opinion, if his English employer does make deductions for UK tax,   your husband should be able to claim it back when he finished the work there. His income from the UK employment should of course be declared with your annual return to the French authority, where it would be assessed for any tax due.

Hello

I don't think the above is entirely accurate, you pay tax where you are at the time of earning the income, so in this case the OP's OH will pay tax in the UK, this should be declared on their French tax return as income earned and taxed abroad I believe, so no tax will be taken in France.  I am no expert though, someone knowledgable will come along and correct this shortly no doubt!

Panda

Isn't there an issue of health care to sort out?  If the O/H has been living in France and in the CMU base for example he will not automatically get health cover in the UK again or be covered by an EHIC will he? I suspect Will knows the answer to this having been in a similar position, but isn't there a 6 month rule or does his employer have to sort that out and he apply for an E form for the one staying in France?

Ron, this case sounds pretty clear cut to me, but the health issue should definately be sorted.  We (FHI) were told quite categorically that you would not have to wait 6 months for healthcare if you returned to the UK, but merely had to prove permanent residence.  In this case if Newbiee's o/h has a job and a home address in the UK then it's probably reasonably obvious where he's living.  But you're right - it would pay them to check the health care issue out.  A call to the DWP probably wouldn't go amiss.  The E form relevant to Newbiee herself is the E109 - which is for the relatives of a UK worker and resident whose dependents are abroad.

And you're right - Will probably knows for sure.[:)]

Cooperlola is correct. Entitlement to NHS treatment is determined by 'ordinary residence'. Having lived in Britain for six months is one way of establishing ordinary residence, taking up employment is another. So there should be no problem in this case - just as I have never had any problems in similar situations. Although the E109 appears to be the correct form, I have heard of E106 being issued in some such cases - but the effect is the same. Of course, that assumes that the family in France are wholly dependent on an overseas breadwinner. If the OP has a job or a business in France the E form will not come into it.

Thanks for all the advice and information folks, very very much appeciated.

I had my own E106 form  (as I've worked all my life) and my husband has his own.  Although my E106 has run out, I presume status (whatever that ends up being!!) in the French healthcare system will remain unchanged.  I was never piggy backing on his application.

Isn't this earning a living lark a pain eh?!

[quote user="newbiee"]
Thanks for all the advice and information folks, very very much appeciated.

I had my own E106 form  (as I've worked all my life) and my husband has his own.  Although my E106 has run out, I presume status (whatever that ends up being!!) in the French healthcare system will remain unchanged.  I was never piggy backing on his application.

Isn't this earning a living lark a pain eh?!
[/quote]Newbiee, I get this totally, but if you find that you can now prise an E109 out of the DWP (assuming you are not now working, as Will says), then it would save you some cotis, which could come in handy!  Worth checking to see if you qualify, anyway.