le malus

mint

Yet another car question, I'm afraid.

Went to a garage to price out a Hyundai Sante Fe today:  Ok, it was more of a "fishing expedition" as I wanted to compare the cost of buying in the UK, adding on the extra French TVA (more than good old British VAT), change of lights if needed, immatriculation, etc. etc.

Then, I saw this malus, which I understand to be some sort of surcharge.  If I bought new in the UK, export it here free of VAT, pay French TVA and do all the other stuff, will this malus still apply?

It's pretty hefty at over €700. 

Alas, no more joking and I am leaving this vehicle and this thread well alone.

Sorry, with my new browser, I don't know how to do a link.  Just been reading about this malus.  It's for those vehicules that are très poluants and may not be a one-off payment but renewable annually........gulp.  Enough already, I should perhaps be looking at a Toyota Prius.

Thank you, everybody.  No time yet to read all your links as I have been out all day looking and comparing cars (prices, specs, prices, le malus, prices).  Wasn't life simpler when you decided what size of car you wanted and what price you could afford and that would be that; limited choice but limited hassle as well.

Now, by the time you've compared this and that, not to mention levels of CO2 emmissions, you're totally bogged down by information overload and wish you only needed to choose between a model T Ford and a Morris Minor.

Have now read all the links you have kindly provided.

Gosub, very good site there............still find it a bit difficult to work out whether the CO2 tax for second-hand vehicles is levied on application for the carte grise or levied yearly.

As for the malus, I shall definitely avoid any vehicle that attracts this tax.

RH, I couldn't get your link to work tonight but I did manage a quick read of it last night.

Clair, dear, kind, patient Clair.  My problem seems to be that whereas in the past, I could highlight the URL, go to Edit, copy it and then paste it onto the post , I now cannot use Edit to copy because, as soon as I click on Edit, the damned highlight on the URL cancels itself.  The result is frustrating in the extreme.

Oh well, computers and I have never had what you might called a reciprocally respectful relationship so I shall just have to describe where to find information instead.

In your original post you mentioned buying new. In your recent post you mention second hand - so I'm not sure which you are contemplating. Possibly my own experience may be of some use. I bought a three year old X -Trail in the UK, only 13500 miles on the clock, at a very good price. I've just immatriculated it and paid €453, which included the malus of €63. I guess the figures for a Santa Fe would be similar. So not too bad at all. In my view buying second hand in the UK is the way to go. Bit of a hassle, but the savings compared to buying in France are enormous. I have yet to change the headlights. I bought the car from a company called Carsite. They sell cars which have come off lease. I found them very easy to deal with and completely straight. Hope this helps.

Patrick

Thank you for your very helpful post.

Actually, I started by looking at second-hand, then I was attracted by prices for nearly new but there was a bit of uncertainty about pre-registered cars (UK pre-registered) that were less than 6 months old and had done fewer than 6000 kilometers.

Then, one of the dealers rang me and offered me a brand new delivery mileage only Santa Fe for £15000.  Thinking this was too good a deal to ignore without at least considering it from all different aspects, I asked the malus question on this thread.

I went to a garage near me (in France) and enquired about a new Santa Fe; just for reasons of finding out about the lights and the costs of registering, etc etc.  That was my first encounter with the malus.  I was told it would be 750 euros and that the immatriculation and "admin" would be 550 euros.

As I couldn't quite make out whether the malus was payable as a one-off or as an annual payment, I have now decided to go for a car with lower CO2 emmissions and so not get stung by these extra taxes which would impact adversely on any savings I might make by buying in the UK.