Wanted!

What I want to know is why she is described as a grandmother.  I expected to read about some frail white haired person and was surprised to find she is a dark-haired 45 year old, nobbut a child!  Pensioner is another often misleading description. 

45 is not young to be a grandmother!  E.g. married at 22 and has a child straight away, daughter married at 22 and does likewise.  I know several grandmothers in their thirties (all with legitimate children / grandchildren and most still married to their original partner!!)  My own mother is 69 and became a great grandmother for the first time 7 years ago.

Thanks, Sweet 17.  BTW my father spent the war taking wedding photos of people getting married at Biggin Hill!  But all this puts me in mind of the Yorkshire Post which was very keen to label people 'war heros' if they were approximately the right age.  Also, if there was any news from abroad that included someone born in the area they seized the opportunity to include them - 'Huddersfield great-granny wins Australian lottery' even though they had emigrated to Australia fifty years ago.

The age of this woman and the fact that she's a granny means nothing in the grand plan.

The only information that we really have is her interview (a poor me interview, a poor lost lamb in the great legal system) and a couple of comments about how unfair the international warrant system is, we really don't know the circumstances, whether her original defence was a lie, why the appeal court overturned the lower court's judgement etc etc.  And there's nothing mentioned about any co-defendant she may have had and what happened to him or her.

She says that the French legal system didn't inform her of the appeal but we have no evidence to prove that either way and that she's totally confused about everything.  Bottom line is that the appeal court obviously thought that her original defence didn't hold water and that she was guilty.

Where would you draw the line?  She had enough drugs on her to warrant being charged and convicted.  So she's still wanted for the offence and is facing 6 years in prison but doing her time may upset her family.  Well, that's tough but the French obviously thought that she was guilty and should pay the price, such is life.

Perhaps there needs to be a statute of limitations on international arrest warrants but for what crimes - manslaughter, theft, drug dealing (which is seems she was convicted of or having drugs with intent to supply)?  Unless there's some gross miscarriage of justice involved in this case, she's been found guilty and should have served her sentence, the fact that she hasn't so far means very little and the best thing she could do is get herself a good French lawyer and try to resolve the situation rather than giving what to me seems like an appeal for sympathy and publicity for her case via the BBC or anywhere else.

[quote user="Bluebell"]Thanks, Sweet 17.  BTW my father spent the war taking wedding photos of people getting married at Biggin Hill!  But all this puts me in mind of the Yorkshire Post which was very keen to label people 'war heros' if they were approximately the right age.  Also, if there was any news from abroad that included someone born in the area they seized the opportunity to include them - 'Huddersfield great-granny wins Australian lottery' even though they had emigrated to Australia fifty years ago.[/quote]

LOL, Bluebell!