Beware of this SCAM.Tax rebate

We have just had an e-mail from the tax credit office in Preston,or should I say purporting to come from this tax office. We haven't applied for any tax credits also there is no name on the forms. Attached is a return form which you are supposed to completeWITH ALL YOUR CARD DETAILS INCLUDING SECURITY NUMBERS etc.

to be e-mailed back. NO no no. THe tax office is appartently aware of this scam. All the correct logos/addresses etc are included.

Pity the HMRC don't put a warning on the TV news. I can imagine a lot of people getting caught out with this.

Regards.

It was featured on BBC news around 10 days ago.

There's no need for anyone to ever fall for one of these scams if they just remember the often repeated advice from banks and other organisations..."We will NEVER ask you to send or confirm your details by e.mail..."

Anything that asks you these things is a scam - always.

[quote user="Gastines"]Pity the HMRC don't put a warning on the TV news.[/quote]

To be fair, HMRC has been consistently warning about these phishing attacks via various means (including BBC news, BBC website and other news services) since they first started in 2006. They have also consistently said that "HMRC would not inform customers of a tax rebate via email, or invite them to complete an online form to receive a rebate of tax". If you wish to report it, forward it (including all headers if possible) to [email protected].

Regards

Pickles

I stand corrected. Although I watch the BBC news I must have missed this warning.

Whilst I agree that anyone asking for details should be ignored,I had another one this morning, the HMRC one actually has the links to connect you to the tax office sites.

Regards.

There's no need to stand corrected Gastines.

Any warning is useful,   there are plenty of people who have never received this sort of email,   or like me have only recently been "approached".

Constant reminders are VITAL  and even if there are plenty of people who tell you that it's been publicised before there will be a few who don't know.

And to those people alerts like yours are useful,  maybe almost life-saving.

Yes, it is easy in times of stress or need to be taken in and it seems that the thousands at it are quite clever at exploiting the vulnerable and those not so sharp. A bit like me. Being in charge and working on a large store re-furb which was having a new roof fitted I fell for a very good one. The steel fixers used the same Cafe every day and one morning said they were off for brekkies early as they were awaiting a delivery of roof sheet cladding. About 10 minutes after they'd gone a chap in overalls came in and asked for the roofers." Just gone". "I've got a delivery for them and the lorry is in a garage 1/2 mile away.driven from Newcastle and b-----dy run out of petrol, no cash and garage won't accept firms petrol card." I fell for it.£20 for petrol, still waiting for the lorry 12 years later.

It must be nice to be so smart that you never fall for any dodges.

Regards.