Getting Married in France

Gardian

Our son announced his engagement at Christmas and the two of them have been making plans for a wedding in 2007.

They're over for a long weekend and have just sprung the suggestion of having the wedding over here. On face value, it seems like an idea worth pursuing: apart from anything else, the cost of a reception is likely to be significantly less than the astronomic cost in the UK.

The legalities though. They are both UK citizens, work there and would remain there as UK residents. The reference book that I've got gives information on the need for a civil ceremony, posting of banns etc, but in principle, are there any issues / insurmountable legal hurdles to a wedding in France? Does Inheritance Law come in to play?

For the record, they were both baptised as Roman Catholics.

Apologies if this one has been covered before - if it has, a pointer to the thread concerned would be much appreciated.   

Full advice on getting married in France, can be found on the [url=http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1139993196508] British Embassy website [/url].

French inheritance laws will not apply unless they own property in France.

I can only answer one part.

As far as being Catholic goes, and if they want to be married in Church as well as at the Mairie, at least one of the couple will need their Baptismal Certificate, or another 'official' confirmation that they were baptised.

Ian, some English friends of mine got married here last year. They were resident, but had moved recently to a different departement..

Appppaaaarently, they should have been resident in the commune they moved to for some length of time, perhaps 3 months? but the Maire turned a blind eye, somehow. Also, you are supposed to have blood tests, but as they already had 2 enfants, the Maire said, 'Oh well, it's too late anyway'. Make of that what you will.

There is a thread which may be useful - if you type in 'Brits getting

married in France - advice sought plse' in the search box above it

should bring it up.  In the thread (which I think dates from

earlier this year) there is also a link to an earlier thread though I

couldn't make this work.

Our daughter will be married here in SW France next summer.  She

and her fiancé both live and work in the UK but come out here when they

can.  The residence qualifications dictate that at least one of

them should have lived here for over a month but the interpretation of

this is very much up to the Maire of each commune. We took the intended

couple to meet the Maire after Christmas and it appears that in this

case our residence plus a token presence by our daughter will be

acceptable.  We were given a booklet on the legal requirements and

the secretary has since added a couple of extras for non-French

citizens which tie in with the info on the British Embassy website.

The ceremony will of course take place in our Mairie and we have

reserved the adjacent Salle de Fête for the reception (which will cost

us a whopping €15 for the afternoon and evening!).  In between the

two we hope to have a Vin d'Honneur so we can invite everyone in the

village to join us for an apero and nibbles.  We are just about to

start collecting menus and estimates from local traiteurs who will be

asked to provide a sit down meal for around 75 people.  Because

most of the guests will be coming from the UK, the wedding has been

arranged for a Tuesday.  This will allow people to  book

Saturday to Saturday and incorporate the Big Day into their holiday or

- if they have to make a shorter trip - to take advantage of cheaper

midweek flights.  Save the Date cards will go out a year ahead to

most people so they can plan well in advance if they want to come.

As someone pointed out elsewhere on the Forum, there is a fair amount

of red tape and paperwork involved, much of which can't be done more

than three months ahead of the wedding.  I gather it is a lot

cheaper to have the required medical checks done in France than by one

of the few doctors licensed to do them in England so it is worth

building in a trip to France by the bride and groom within the three

months immediately preceding the marriage.

I know many people do the legal formalities at a registry office in the

UK and then have the celebrations afterwards in France which is

probably the simplest way of doing things.  It is also possible of

course to have a Church blessing in the local RC church, either by the

resident priest or (with permission) from one of the Anglican clergy in

the region who will travel to do this. 

I hope everything works out well for you and the happy couple - good luck!

Val

Hi, my sted-daughter announced the very same! She is getting married here next July, she lives in the UK with her fiance .. Asked at the local Marie and she said Yes no problem, neither of them have to be resident here before hand .. but this does depend on your maire. Again, they need the medical, birth certificate translated and that's about it .. Ex wife and daughter are arriving this evening for a "reccy" to look at church, and for the ex to be nosey! Our biggest problem is finding the accomodation for 40 guests from the UK, so, much searching for gites in the local area .. that is my biggest worry as decent places get booked up so far in advance. Don't think I could cope with 40 at home, house is big but not that big, plus I dread to think about the electricity and water bill! Anyway good luck, if you need any more info let me know as I'm investigating it all now.

Good luck

Steph

www.pwb53.com

Steph ...........

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that they're keeping you amused in (what I presume is) your 'leisure time'. Just thinking about it all must be a logistical nightmare.

Since I placed the original post, they seem keener than ever. The local church, which we're ashamed to say we've never visited, is apparently "perfect". Imagine the problems of accommodating 100-ish guests in a rural area (their idea of numbers, not ours)? Who's going to get involved in organising it all - you guessed?

Problem compounded by the fact that our local Maire has been suspended (pending appeal, I hasten to add, lest I contravene any libel laws) for some financial malpractice. Thus, the only person I can talk to is the Secretaire - whatever the opposite of charisma is ............she's got it ! One day charming, the next ..........

The good news is that they're talking about 2008, not next year is we had originally understood. You never know, they might have gone off the idea by then.