The hardest thing about NOT living in France...

MrCanary

For somebody who wants to live in France, the hardest things about NOT living there at present are quite numerous for me...

1) Having to say goodbye to our wonderful, gorgeous, family-like French next-door-neighbours. He and she and me and my lovely wife just hug and kiss so much before we drive off back to Blighty.

2) When I return to England after a break at my lovely French home and have to start driving on English roads again.

3) Having returned to England, going to the supermarket and being surrounded by rude people who never apologise if they knock into me.

4) Excitedly travelling back to France for another visit and having to endure smug British individuals who spend most of the ferry trip making sure everybody knows they have a house in France (probably just like almost everybody sitting around them...)

5) And finally, wondering what next obstacle will be thrown in our path when we again get close to moving to France...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like going through the supermarket queue in England without having to wait while the cashier goes off to check on something, and while people pay with a cheque, and then pack their shopping, and while others pay with a hundred vouchers which have to be scanned individually. Otherwise, I don't find French supermarkets any different from English ones - people still get in the queue while their partner is shopping or leave stuff on the belt while nipping off for another few bits and pieces. If a new till opens those at the back of the queue invariably rush to the front of the new one etc etc

[quote user="plod"]I quite like going through the supermarket queue in England without having to wait while the cashier goes off to check on something, and while people pay with a cheque, and then pack their shopping, and while others pay with a hundred vouchers which have to be scanned individually. Otherwise, I don't find French supermarkets any different from English ones - people still get in the queue while their partner is shopping or leave stuff on the belt while nipping off for another few bits and pieces. If a new till opens those at the back of the queue invariably rush to the front of the new one etc etc[/quote]

That's alright because they pack their shopping while the cheque is being processed. It's the ones who are unable to multi task that annoy me. Those who pack their stuff slowly, then open their bags and search through the 50 million different wallets they have in order to find their cheque book, and then they write in the stub before handing the cheque over.....

I have a trick with shopping. I always go at lunch time. When the french are busy eating. Weeks shopping done in 15 minutes!

I quite agree with Plod - I really don't see much difference between UK and French supermarkets other than the quality/range of products.  What did impress me last time I was in Tesco outside Cambridge (after I had recovered from hyperventilating due to the crowds!) was that they employ older women and handicaped people.  Bravo. 

Mel, the fact that you have gorgeous neighbours in France is more luck of the draw than anything specific to France. You have have been a member of the forum long enough to read the postings of many members in France who appear by contrast to have neighbours from hell!!

Likewise, your French supermarket appears to be very different from the French ones I visit, where ignoring the queue is a French national sport and as for driving you clearly are not familiar with French roads in more populous areas!

Sprogster, this thread is about my perceptions (and those of others) and not your perceptions of my perceptions...

I shop in Leclerc at Loches where, if anyone accidentally bumps into each other, they always apologise...

My French home is in the countryside near Loches and my UK one in a similar location in Norfolk. The comparative road surfaces of France are a hundred times better than the UK ones! And from a driving perspective, I love driving in Paris!

As for my French neighbours, well I'm sorry if yours are not like that, but in life you reap what you sow...

[quote user="Mel"]Gemonimo - does that not happen in France? To be fair to the other UK supermarkets, they all employ older people and those folk with handicaps. And I agree, it is great to see this.[/quote]

Mel, some french supermarkets employ 'older' women, i.e. 40+ and then I suspect they have come up through the ranks.  I have never seen post retirement people working at a supermarket in france and certainly never chez Leclerc. I have equally never seen a french cash desk designed for and occupied by an employee in a wheelchair.

Gemonimo - that is so sad. Some of the nicest staff members in UK supermarkets are disabled people.

And I guess, if I drew comparisons between the staffs in both locations, the UK staff would win - especially in Sainsbury's. But in my original post, although I did not make it clear, I was referring to the customers - you know, people like many of the people on here...

That must be near the Mairie... When you want to splash out for a three/four course top-notch lunch for 19euros, try the Luccotel - stunning food!

I just checked, we live about 40 kms from you. You'll know us if you see us because we are always hugging our neighbours...

[quote user="Mel"] As for my French neighbours, well I'm sorry if yours are not like that, but in life you reap what you sow...[/quote]

Bloomin eck!

I dont know what I have done to deserve my near and distant neighbours, in fact most of the local populace.

I must have been a complete b******d in a previous life [:P]

I prefer to look on it as part of lifes rich pattern [:)]

I'm with Gemonimo, Sprogster and NormanH on this one.   Human beings are human beings - I think your rose tinted specs are deceiving you...  However much they hug you, you will still be 'les anglais'...and will be for, at a guess, the next 50 years or so...if, of course, you're still alive by then!