UK TV sets in France?

Yes, virtually all TV's produced now are multistandard and will work anywhere. Apart from bargain basement noname cheapies you'd probably be hardpressed to find one which is not.

The only thing which may be an issue (or not) is that the inbuilt Freeview receiver, which most TV's seem to feature these days, may not work properly in France but if you do want French TV you can always set up a satellite dish and receiver for it. Others can maybe expand on that side of things.

I have a Samsung TV with an inbuilt tuner but lacking a terrestrial antenna have never put it to the test. I have French TV with my FT/Orange BB package.

[quote user="AnOther"]Yes, virtually all TV's produced now are multistandard and will work anywhere. Apart from bargain basement noname cheapies you'd probably be hardpressed to find one which is not.

[/quote]

Not necessarily, many Panasonic models (to name but one make) sold in Britain have PAL-only (and DVB) tuners. They are far from 'bargain basement'.

To get a TV that works with French analogue signals you need SECAM-L, which is a standard peculiar to France. But as many analogue transmitters have gone digital, and all are expected to be changed over within a year or two, it's fairly academic anyway. Once the signals have gone digital then if your TV has an inbuilt Freeview receiver it will work with the French TNT (Freeview equivalent) signals.

We are about to subscribe to the Orange b/b package which includes TV through a decoder etc.  Will our quite elderly (+20 yrs old) UK TV work with it, alternatively, will the newer (2-3 years old) TV work?.  Neither have a freeview box, but I presume we don't need that as the decoder will do that part of it.  Since it's all digital presumably the PAL / SECAM scenario is not relevant?

You should have no problem with a 2-3 year old TV receiving digital signals from an Orange box. As far as the older one goes, it all depends what connections it has and what other devices it may be compatible with. But to be perfectly honest any piece of electronic equipment that is more than 20 years old is living on borrowed time anyway.

Thanks for the clarification Will, as you say though it's largely academic [;-)]

Judith, as long as your old TV has a SCART socket it will work with the Orange decoder but I have to say that I'm with Will here and I would think long and hard about bringing such an antique to France. If nothing else the power consumption will probably be double that of a modern set.

Thanks both.  It's already here in France ....!!!  If it were me I would have jettisoned it long ago, but OH won't ...... until it is proven not to work, and even then he will try and mend it ..... the war mentality you know.  However, it doesn't have a scart socket to the best of my memory, he had trouble with it before I arrived, when his video packed up ...... yes, we've got lots of videos too ...

But good news about the newer TV.

I have no problems with eventually getting a French TV, but whilst the one we have still works, it seems daft to do so, if we can make the newer one work, though it is actually too small for the room, whilst the very old one is the right size for our new lounge.... problems, problems, but thanks for the input.

Thanks for the answers...

My question is based on the fact I want to buy a brand new Flat screen TV for our French home and I plan to have a satellite dish fitted as well...

It does seem that TVs are a lot cheaper in England, so that is what I plan to do...

Based on the answers above, if I buy a new TV ready for digital and avoid Panasonic, I should be OK - I think?

[quote user="Mel"]Thanks for the answers... My question is based on the fact I want to buy a brand new Flat screen TV for our French home and I plan to have a satellite dish fitted as well... It does seem that TVs are a lot cheaper in England, so that is what I plan to do... Based on the answers above, if I buy a new TV ready for digital and avoid Panasonic, I should be OK - I think?[/quote]

Not sure on price, I found 1080p 3D Ready TV s notably cheaper in france than the UK.

[quote user="Mel"]This is an example of the prices I have found in the UK... Hitachi 42 Inch Full HD 1080p Digital LCD TV - 4 Series £399.99[/quote]

Does an ubiquitous reduction in price of  £ 200 for a particular 2D TV represent current retail prices for a 3D model.[:D]

http://www.google.fr/search?q=Hitachi+42+Inch+Full+HD+1080p+Digital+LCD+TV+-+4+Series+%C2%A3399.99&hl=fr&rls=com.microsoft:fr:IE-ContextMenu&ei=RHFETKivOoqZOIefwdUM&start=20&sa=N

What's wrong with it!

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Mel"]This is an example of the prices I have found in the UK... Hitachi 42 Inch Full HD 1080p Digital LCD TV - 4 Series £399.99[/quote]

Does an ubiquitous reduction in price of  £ 200 for a particular 2D TV represent current retail prices for a 3D model.[:D]

http://www.google.fr/search?q=Hitachi+42+Inch+Full+HD+1080p+Digital+LCD+TV+-+4+Series+%C2%A3399.99&hl=fr&rls=com.microsoft:fr:IE-ContextMenu&ei=RHFETKivOoqZOIefwdUM&start=20&sa=N

What's wrong with it!

[/quote]

Check page 45 of the PDF file below, only a ONE year guarantee, woouldn't catch me buying kwack  like that...[:)]

Page 45 of the link to the manual...... very suspicious!
http://www.hitachiserviceeu.com/scripts/userguide.php/L42VC04U_EN.pdf

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="pachapapa"]

What's wrong with it!

[/quote]

Check page 45 of the PDF file below, only a ONE year guarantee, woouldn't catch me buying kwack  like that...[:)]

Page 45 of the link to the manual...... very suspicious!
http://www.hitachiserviceeu.com/scripts/userguide.php/L42VC04U_EN.pdf

[/quote]

TV of interest is a 40" Samsung 3D Ready....cheapest today in france € 944 at 1.18 that makes a cool  £ 800 in UK. Well one can dream cant one.[:)]

http://www.webtel-gsm.com/shopexd.asp?catalogid=85361