Coastal B&B near Boulogne?

[quote user="Loiseau"]Les Tourelles, at the little resort of Le Crotoy, overlooking the Somme estuary, is quirky and beautifully sited

http://www.lestourelles.com/hotel.aspx?Nlg=en [/quote]

The video is superb! You are right about the hotel being quirky - it appears to be an intriguing place. And the food looks delicious. Also adore the key-tabs - what a nifty idea.

http://www.lestourelles.com/hotel.aspx?Nlg=en

Sue [:)]

What a delightful video; they don't just show the high points, but also bed-making and sitting reading wearing a jacket in the breeze! We've seen the place when visiting Le Crotoy and St Valery, and I'm even more keen to stay there now!

If anyone visits the area for a few days, there's a nature reserve at Marquenterre, which is lovely to visit, with hides for viewing the many birds on path around the lakes. We always make a day of it when we're in the area; if you have no binoculars with you, they can be borrowed, but you need an identity card or passport, which they pop into a cubbyhole until you return them. We didn't have bins or passports on our last, unplanned, visit, and hoped car keys might do, like at the arena at Nimes, but found they didn't.

I have stayed at La Tourelles myself, and the rooms are charming - though on the small side and not all ensuite - so not to everyone's taste. Mine overlooked the estuary (not all do); the pink light of dawn (it was November!) on the mudflats was just like the video. My room was tiny, like a cabin, lined with painted wood panelling; just like something from the pages of Côtè Ouest magazine.

The food was imaginative, too.

And I have stayed in much less attractive B&Bs that cost more than this hotel!

My only criticism would be that the staff were rather off-hand. But it's a minor carp, compared with the setting and everything else.

It is understandably popular, so you have a better chance of getting a room if you go off season.

Angela

www.northernfrance-within90minutesofcalais.co.uk