English speaking hairdresser

tonyd

[quote user="gardengirl "]

How did you manage with the accent in Whitley Bay, ericd? It can be very hard to understand, even for those brought up not far away!

[/quote]

Apart from my College english, Geordie has pretty much been my only source of learning, so that's easy....and from the day i first met him in the early 80's my FiL took great pleasure in getting me to repeat "Hoy a hammer over here"...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

........So why do most public services in the UK offer most information in multi languages?  .........

And for the rest, thank you Mrs  R51. I did not want to be so direct but those same people would most certainly object to Hindi, Afghan etc. refugees not speaking English when they queue for their benefit cheque.

About hairdressers in France (apologies for those who have heard this story before but I think that it is worth repeating because it is weird).  I went to have my hair trimmed a couple of years ago but the (French) hairdresser insisted that she could only do it during a full moon.  So I booked for an appointment during a full moon a couple of weeks later.

The thing

is, I assumed that she would have a salon full of people, telling everyone the same.  Not brilliant business practice but I do live in the middle of nowhere.  However, I was

the only one there.... 

There are people who work only through the Lunar Calendar. As a woman she thought your hair needed revitalising hence the New moon bit (lune montante et lune descendante). Some gardeners (both France and UK) swear blind that root vegetables should be planted after the full moon whilst leaf vegetables only when the moon ascends.  

[quote user="Richard51"][quote user="NickP"]

So why do most public services in the UK offer most information in multi languages?  [:P]

[/quote]

Because they are stupid and like to waste tax payers money.  IMHO if you choose to live in a country (full-time or part-time) you should make the effort to learn the language.  This applies whether you are an East European living in the UK or a Brit in France.  Failing to do so shows arrogance and idleness.  How much effort does it take to use a dictionary etc to work out (and, if necessary, write down) what you want before you go?  It's Brits like you that make me cringe with embarrassment.  Do you shout loudly and slowly in English too?

Mrs R51
[/quote]

Definitely, but only when asking the natives  WHAT-----IS----THE-----CRICKET-----SCORE? And I love your assumption that everybody who speaks English is a Brit.[:P]