TWINS

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Clair"]according to Bernadette Chirac interviewed yesterday, "It's great for France."

[blink][blink][blink]
[/quote]Duh?  Encouraging people to have more children in this day and age is great in what way, exactly?  Especially children that science has to interfere in order to produce.  Sorry, just don't get it.

But I guess when couples all over France decide to follow suit then they can just get some rich foreigners with two houses to pay for their IVF treatment and then the kids' unemployment benefits when they grow up and find there's no work for them.[6][:D]

Well, I realise that as I don't like kids, I have an unpopular and somewhat polarised view of this!  However, I am perfectly happy, and believe it to be quite right, that my taxes go to pay towards the education and training of the young, unemployment benefits for those less fortunate than I, healthcare for the sick etc etc.  However, given that our planet is running out of resources and that future generations will struggle to survive if we continue to polute the planet as we currently do (and I'm not trying to start a global warming debate here - I'm talking about the sheer amount of rubbish we produce which we cannot dispose of, and the stuff we consume which we cannot replace) then why, oh why, do policiticans and others continue to go on about procreation as if it's a good thing? 

One or two kids per fertile couple to maintain the status quo, maybe, but honestly - if we haven't got enough money to keep those who are already on the planet and who are sick from suffering and/or dying, then why do we need more?  How can we justify spending medical resources on allowing couples unable to have kids to have them?  But then, I passed by the maternal instinct queue so I'm not the best person to argue this really.  But from the point of view of using scarce resources in a fair way, it just seems totally bonkers to me.[:)] 

I know that the argument will crop up again about needing the next generation to care for the current one but sorry, eventually somebod has to face up to the fact that we have to make provision for ourselves, and not rely on the next generation to do it because we surely cannot sustain population at the current levels.

I agree about sustainable population. I believe that no one should be helped or encouraged to have more than two children. If a third arrives, then I wouldn't want forceable abortion, but a family should be fined for the extra carbon footprint they are putting on the planet.

I cannot watch Sting anymore, sanctimonious xxxxx. Sat on tv saying that he had 6, yes SIX kids and he was in Australia visiting one. AND he dares get onto me about saving the planet. David Cameron, Tony Blair, how dare they say a thing about recycling, going green. A subject very close to my heart this and I wish that some politican would have the couilles to say and do something about it.

Even if every couple did keep to two children the population would continue to grow exponentially, either we have got to start dying off once our children reach maturity or there should be a minimum age of 45 for couples to have children. Ladies/mothers yuo dont need to point out just how impractical that would be.

I too dont like to see all the consumerism, I have just had my sister and niece stay for a few days, I am exhausted from chauffering them from one retail mecca to another, they said they wanted to visit the tourist sites (my a**e) they spent not one second, they even left in a hurry so they could spend a day (yes a whole day) at Cité Europe.

I am irked that all governments are obsessed with economic growth, to me that goes hand in hand with an ever increasing population and pillaging of the earths finite resources.

The Conseil generale of La Somme is very proud of the fact that we are the most fecund region in France, trouble is they all seem to be living on benefits paid for by the less feckless of you out there.

The problem with attacking the parents in their wallets is that the children might suffer and they are the innocents in this. 

I don't know the answer to this but I do think that it behoves politicians and public figures to set a good example and not to help promote the idea that banging out kids is somehow so wonderful.  Time for a little restraint in this deparment.