Vide grenier

Load your stall with any old crap you can find, think of a price and then double it. Seems to work for the French and that way you'll keep your stock and be able to do it all again next year.  [:D]

I've always wondered what the French would make of a sign on the stall saying something like " Make Me a Sensible Offer ".

I used to help run the biggest non-city one in our region. As Benjamin as implied be sensible on prices.

I have bought a few remarkable bargains, due to me be unable to actually look around for stuff to buy whilst is was on, too busy making crepes, out buying extra wine etc etc  but having to make sure that everyone was packing up properly, have put in offers on stuff that hadn't been sold and walked off with bargains. Most people ask far too much.

Take a lot of small change with you, a pile of carrier bags for people to take stuff away in, if you have one of those belt money bags or even a slaters nailbag (no jokes please) it will be come in handy.

If you see even a whisper of a cloud in the sky cover everything immediately with a tarpaulin, preferably one that would be buyers cannot see through or otherwise you will stick out like a sore thumb [:P]

We did a brocante last year. Amazed what sold - electric sockets/English books plus an assortment of things which were left by the previous owners. They last longer than in the UK but then everything stops for lunch. Some-one even wanted to buy our dog!!!! Good fun though plus we made enough money to fund a meal out.

[quote user="idun"]I don't drink much wine but I do love Chablis. Have you tried  Colombelle, it is glorious in summer and is very good the rest of the year too.[/quote]

Colombelle?  Never heard of it.  What kind of grape and from which part of France or perhaps the New World?

Sancerre:  now, nicely chilled, that slips down a treat on a warm day. 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="idun"]I don't drink much wine but I do love Chablis. Have you tried  Colombelle, it is glorious in summer and is very good the rest of the year too.[/quote]

Colombelle?  Never heard of it.  What kind of grape and from which part of France or perhaps the New World?

Sancerre:  now, nicely chilled, that slips down a treat on a warm day. 

[/quote]

Colombelle is a Cote de Gascoigne. Once when we were on holiday in Brittany we saw lots of adverts for it, first time we had seen it advertised. We only started getting it as someone from the Gascoigne used to get it for us. As a summer wine it is superb served cold. I usually take Chablis to friends homes when we are invited out, as I love it too. And when in France I would take either of those and/or a bottle of Clairette de Die Tradition. Add to that a very simple cote de rhone and you have idun's very simple taste in wines.  My weakness is rather more expensive and that is vintage port,  but I drink it rarely.

We were always told that Clairette de Die was the fore runner of champagne. Now do I believe this, not really. Would I rather have it than champagne, si, I would.

Included in my job description in one of my jobs used to be to buy very expensive and good champagne for soirees in England,  and I was at liberty to drink what I wanted. Never liked it, never drank it, I can just about manage to drink Rothschild, but I a Kir Royale I can drink.