The loneliness of the longtime French farmer: a real and growing problem

NormanH

Or solitude in the French countryside.

More and more farmers have no partner...over 30% are celibate.

It is even in the American press:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/world/europe/31lassay.html?_r=1&ref=world

Which is why the Agrifolies have been organised in the Aveyron..

http://www.midilibre.fr/2011/08/30/quand-les-agriculteurs-luttent-contre-le-celibat,379356.php

after the 'Foire aux célibataires' ar La Canourgue at Easter

http://www.foire-aux-celibataires.com/

A problem in the north of England too, up in the wilds, in farms bordering and near the Pennines, girls were invited to a 'do' last year to meet the single farmers.

So any single ladies who like les bleus (de travail) sounds like you should be off to the Foire aux Celibetaires next year.[:)]

Within a kilometre of our house in France there are two perfectly decent single farmers in their forties. Mind you, I don't think the fact that they both have fierce mothers who would expect to continue to rule the roost helps.

Hoddy

Does no-one watch L'amour est dans le pré?

Its a sort of reality TV dating program for down on their luck gonzesses who want to marry a farmer and inherit the farm, I personally cant stand it, its real car crash TV with a great dollop of crass sentiment, however most French women that I know adore it.

ROFLPMP Chancer, I HATE that word gonzesse, I'm still laughing, it is a terrible word, just the way it sounds, just so ............ disparaging!

I never want to be called a gonzesse, if I am ever known as a gonzesse SHOOT ME!

(I don't mind nana that sounds pleasanter, well I think it does)

Here in Wales they remedy the lack of good farming Mafanwys who can drive a tractor by going to the Philippines and catching a willing girl who would like to own a fair chunk of UK. Once one farmer has is hot water bottle sorted (winters are mighty cold in them valleys [;-)]), the new Mafanwy-on-the-block will recruit all the eligible girls of her extended family and will matchmake them to all the Welsh lads in her husband's acquaintance.  

Like bees to a honey pot!

There was a spate of Russian/Ukrainian girls for a while but that seems to have dried out now that the EU is pouring money to enable them  a sprucing up before they become full members one day.

You bad man. [:-))]

Still I am not saying that I don't think that some women are not gonzesses, they are!!!!! But if I ever heard anyone call me that, well, they would have to beware, I would be offended and angry and maybe they would have to get out of my way tude sweet!!

[quote user="Chancer"]I love the word Gonzesse for the same reason, when I first heard it I checked in my dictionary and it said "bird" but as you say it sounds far more disparaging than that, makes salope seem tame by comparison, definitely one of my favorites [:D][/quote]

I would far prefer to be a gonzesse than a salope which is far worse and doesn't have the same meaning at all.

Now we'll be off for an intellectual nitpicking debate.    [:P]

[quote user="Christine Animal"] ...... Now we'll be off for an intellectual nitpicking debate.    [:P]   [/quote]

Let's have some semantics [:D]

Une gonzesse is  a man's broad or his moll

Une salope was once a moll (or broad)  but has committed the cardinal sin of having an 'extra currilar activity' with some other bloke, so now she is relegated to the gutter were she is dirty product to be left well alone.

Many times I have been told that I have a way with women, its called the wrong way!!

What man would would want an inexperienced gonzesse when there is a salopette to be had?

Or as my dear mother put it, - if she isnt good enough for the other boys in the street she isnt good enough for my Chancer [:D]

[quote user="Chancer"]

Many times I have been told that I have a way with women, its called the wrong way!!

What man would would want an inexperienced gonzesse when there is a salopette to be had?

Or as my dear mother put it, - if she isnt good enough for the other boys in the street she isnt good enough for my Chancer [:D]

[/quote]

isn't that something you wear?

http://www.google.com/search?q=salopette&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=K0&channel=fs&gl=uk&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IbFfTo7eBMWxhAe76J30Aw&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=992

Salopette, nice word play M Chancer![:D]

Whereas when I called my female puppy a chiotte, it was because I thought that as a chiot was a male puppy a female puppy was a chiotte. It was often 'interesting' the way I learned new words!![6]