LIDL online

Bugsy

Hasnt it always been so for at least a couple of years or is there someting differeant about this web site?

The one i have always used shows their promos and arrivages but not their stock items, not that you need a waeb site for that as their maxim is un besoin un produit.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Hasnt it always been so for at least a couple of years or is there someting differeant about this web site?

The one i have always used shows their promos and arrivages but not their stock items, not that you need a waeb site for that as their maxim is un besoin un produit.

[/quote]

Hey Chancer I think you need to add an English spell checker to your browser, I think you have gone native. Your now typing Francanglaise (or whatever its called), you've been doing this now for about the last two years just in case you never noticed. [;-)]

[quote user="NormanH"]Thanks for the info...I have someone who goes for me, so it's very useful to have a better idea of what might be available..
[/quote]

I understand there is some some form of social stigma involved when you shop in LIDL and even worse if you mention Aldi. Personally I like a good bargain and things that work (I have often said how highly I rank Lidl cleaning products). I love Lidl and have had a few 'good does' at Aldi as well so I welcome the info on the existence of this website. I see they don't do those mince pies in France that they advertise on UK TV, shame really.

PS If you want the best beer in France go to Lidl and buy Perlenbacher for just under 3 Euros for six pints, wonderful stuff and no chemicals, German of course and it's over a pound cheaper here than the UK (£3.99 for six pints).

Lidl (and Aldi) used to be a curiousity on my shopping trips, though now it's a must include; however recently, their popularity is rising, along with their prices, Some Asda, Tesco and Morrison prices are much better, from greengrocery to Drinks etc, always worth shopping around.[;-)]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8704822/Asda-Tesco-hit-as-Lidl-and-Aldi-prosper.html

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

Hey Chancer I think you need to add an English spell checker to your browser, I think you have gone native. Your now typing Francanglaise (or whatever its called), you've been doing this now for about the last two years just in case you never noticed. [;-)]

[/quote]

Sorry about the spelling mistakes, I really struggle with the keyboard on this new portable, I used to think my old one was playing up but now i know that I have dislexic fingers, I often type things out of sequence and worst still when I read it back I often dont see the errors.

I am sure that you dont need me to translate promos or arrivages, their maxim which I have only heard expressed on French TV translates to one product per need, i.e. they will sell one yoghurt rather than having a whole aisle of different brands of essentially the same product like the big supermarkets, this way they can use stores that fall under a certain maximum footprint which gives them planning and local tax advantages, at least in France.

They probably have a similar mission statement in the UK, no doubt loaded with buzzwords.

Re the 2 years, the problems started when I lost my eye, so 3 years at least.

[quote user="Chancer"][quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry about the spelling mistakes, I really struggle with the keyboard on this new portable, I used to think my old one was playing up but now i know that I have dislexic fingers, I often type things out of sequence and worst still when I read it back I often dont see the errors.

I am sure that you dont need me to translate promos or arrivages, their maxim which I have only heard expressed on French TV translates to one product per need, i.e. they will sell one yoghurt rather than having a whole aisle of different brands of essentially the same product like the big supermarkets, this way they can use stores that fall under a certain maximum footprint which gives them planning and local tax advantages, at least in France.

They probably have a similar mission statement in the UK, no doubt loaded with buzzwords.

Re the 2 years, the problems started when I lost my eye, so 3 years at least.

[/quote]

Thats OK I'll let you off this time. [;-)]

Seriously, am I right in thinking they are not allowed to do 'loss leaders' in France?

Something I saw on telly the other week was about UK supermarkets giving 30% more of a product or 'buy one get one free' when in fact it's cheaper to buy the smaller quantity package. They seemed quite shocked. Obviously they have never visited a French supermarket. I always check the price per kilo or ltr and most of these 'offers' are a total ripoff. Also the amount of out of date produce left on shelves is terrible. As to the prices, well fresh mince in our local Carrefour has gone from just over 9 Euros a kilo to just over eleven in six weeks.

[quote user="Quillan"]

PS If you want the best beer in France go to Lidl and buy Perlenbacher for just under 3 Euros for six pints, wonderful stuff and no chemicals, German of course and it's over a pound cheaper here than the UK (£3.99 for six pints).

[/quote]

And cheaper still in German once you have taken the bottles back to be recycled - €3,20 for 6 pack but 1,50 back as a deposit - Anyone living in Alsace or Lorraine could well benefit from a quick hop across the border

Hey Quillan I hope that you have been saving your bottles!!

I no longer drink alcohol since 2 years but it was also my favorite tipple, back then it cost a little more in France, €3.99 IIRC but it was a whole lot more in England, either £5 or £5.99

Is it only the Perlenbacher and/or other specific brands that can be returned for deposit in Germany?

I can see me taking bottles to the UK as a side journey to my insulation to France trips!!!

[quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

£4.99 yesterday, so I went for the Spitfire and Bishops finger instead[B]

All drinks bottles over 0.5l are deposit bottles in Germany, as are many drinks cans.  But like many administrations they have made the rules unbelievably complex so that IIRC, Liptons ice tea in a can is non deposit but the carbonated version of the same drink is a deposit can.

The sure fire test (if it is a German sourced bottle) is whether the labelling has a Green point - Grüne Punkt - marking on it - 2 interlaced curving arrows that make up a circle and is coloured......................  well I let you guess the colour.

http://www.gruener-punkt.de/

As soon as I had posted I realised that I was wrong about the all drinks bottles but not about the unbelievable complex.  Wine bottles are exempt - unless they carry the green point logo

[quote user="Chancer"]

Hey Quillan I hope that you have been saving your bottles!!

I no longer drink alcohol since 2 years but it was also my favorite tipple, back then it cost a little more in France, €3.99 IIRC but it was a whole lot more in England, either £5 or £5.99

Is it only the Perlenbacher and/or other specific brands that can be returned for deposit in Germany?

I can see me taking bottles to the UK as a side journey to my insulation to France trips!!!

[/quote]

and

[quote user="andyh4"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

And cheaper still in German once you have taken the bottles back to be recycled - €3,20 for 6 pack but 1,50 back as a deposit - Anyone living in Alsace or Lorraine could well benefit from a quick hop across the border

[/quote]

Well chaps isn't life wonderful, you learn something every day and this is something I never knew about Perlenbacher and German bottles. I have been shoving mine in the local recycling bin for years. I have a mate near buy who drinks the same stuff and has in laws in Germany who he visits every year so 'game on' as they say. I call it my 'in the cupboard' booze (like my single malts). Far too good to give away to guests if you know what I mean. [;-)]