Some dishes cannot be improved upon

mint

[quote user="Rob Roy"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

When I can find large tins of corned beef here I still do it,using just one, for the two of us.

[/quote]

Corned Beef in France, I have wasted far too much money on the dreadful, nay degueulasse stuff. The food I bought for the cat looked nicer, smelt nicer, wouldn't know about the taste. I just wouldn't if I were you.

Wonderful ideas all round!

JJ, I love the looks of that spinach thingummy. 

Toad in the hole made with Irish sausages also sounds suitably fattening and therefore delicious.

Tonight, I went to the énoisage and I now have to own up to eating and DRINKING!  I started off on cold water but, as the evening went on, it was impossible to avoid drinking without appearing either odd or prissy so I thought, what the hell, I am the one making the rules after all!

Some people started on cider as we were cracking the nuts but that was when I was on the water.  Then, at table, we had a kir to start and red wine throughout the meal.

The food was just the sort of robust, peasant dishes that I like.  There was a soup whose name I didn't catch but some of you might know it.  It was a white soup with thin slices of bread in it and egg whites stirred in; surprisingly tasty.

Then a potato salad with hard boiled eggs and at least 2 types of fish.

Then roast pork and haricots blancs with couenne (is that how you spell it?)

Then some brie and a hard cheese whose name nobody could tell me.  It was round with a black skin and has a slightly sour taste.

Then galette des rois; both types, the brioche and the pastry with the frangipane (my preferred option).

Then coffee, which I passed on as I can't drink coffee after 4 o'clock or I won't sleep a wink.

Then a nice, rough cognac with chocolates.

You can imagine that after eating that lot, I expect to be here on the computer for a while yet. 

For those who have PMed me, I have replied [:D] 

[quote user="idun"][quote user="Rob Roy"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

When I can find large tins of corned beef here I still do it,using just one, for the two of us.

[/quote]

Corned Beef in France, I have wasted far too much money on the dreadful, nay degueulasse stuff. The food I bought for the cat looked nicer, smelt nicer, wouldn't know about the taste. I just wouldn't if I were you.

[/quote]

I found Frey Bentos so I was happy with that![:)]

[quote user="Rob Roy"][quote user="idun"][quote user="Rob Roy"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I found Frey Bentos so I was happy with that![:)]

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with Leader Price Corned Beef.

Corned beef? Yes. Corned beef tins? A no-no.

I have lost count of the times I've had to have tetanus jab updates because I cut myself trying to open a tin of corned beef. We now buy it in ready-cut slices from the cold meat counter of our supermarket.

Regarding food treats when on one's own.: I am mortified to have realised that mine are not comfort food that you cook. I'm more likely to get fish and chips from the chippie, or worse, a large packet of Kettle crisps and a Bounty bar. Oh and custard and a slice or two of Swiss roll for dessert.

Kettle crisps were available in Leclerc when we were in France, and we had them from there long before we lived in England again. Very nice for a naughty snack.

I love custard, with compote, fruit, cake, pie or just on it's own.

And about one a fortnight we have fish and chips.

[quote user="Hoddy"]Sweet17, I think the soup you had was probably Tourin. Garlic soup with white trails (egg white) in it. Hoddy[/quote]

Hi, Hoddy, I asked my neighbour last night as we were walking to the gym and she confirmed that it WAS Tourin.  It tasted lovely...miam.