Texting

idun

I suppose most of us text, so how distracted are you when you do so? I know I am very distracted.

Has anyone walked into you whilst they were texting?

I have seen people texting whilst driving and riding bikes and I hate to see that and it is illegal, I hope.

The most extreme that I have experienced, an overnight train in New Zealand, not a sleeper but you are expected to kip with the seat reclined as in an aircraft.

The staff went around closing blinds offering blankets and then the lights went off, all pretty normal then gradually the whole carriage was illuminated by a weird glow, everyone was playing games on their mobiles!!!

The incessant beeping was annoying enough but there was a young girl in front of me that spent the entire night, and I do mean the entire night sending and recieving text messages, problem was she would not set her phone to silent and the incoming text alert was a thunderous roar of an orchestra, as rousing as the charge of the light brigade.

All she would do was grunt and ignore any requests to stop or put the phone to silent mode, eventually I found a corner in the dining carriage to sleep but the staff told me I was not allowed to do so, when I explained that the alternative was to commit murder they relented.

I returned to my seat in the morning for the destination, it was about 7am, the girl was still texting, her phone still bursting out with thunder every 2 minutes, she got off the train in front of me, I resisted the temptation to push her under another and watched her walking along the platform still texting away not looking where she was going, I was eagerly awaiting the inevitable collision as someone was walking directly towards her doing the same, to my great joy they collided although not violently enough for my taste and then burst out laughing, it was her friend that she had been texting all night.

I nearly committed a double murder there and then!

[quote user="Chancer"]

I nearly committed a double murder there and then!

[/quote]I know how you feel.  Mr C has only narrowly escaped having his mobile shoved up his rear end on several occasions.  Texting whilst in company has replaced watching TV when there are guests and reading at table as one of the rudest things I know.  We used to have to wait until we got letters from people - now it's necessary to communicate with somebody that very second and no delay is acceptable no matter what the circumstances.  Grrr.

Idun, no, I have never had a texting accident as I only turn my mobile on once every one or two days to check for messages, unless I'm specifically expecting a message re a  meeting etc.  You'll have to give up those varifocals, you know, because with reading-only glasses you have to stop and get your specs out before you can either read or send a text![:D]

LOL, no I can read perfectly well with my varifocals thankyou, they took some getting used to, but I go from distance to close stuff brilliantly. And I could also read a big panneau today in the distance with my glasses and my friend who doesn't need glasses to drive, couldn't. Oops!