L'Anglois

The word which is still in use, refers originally to the English language (I suspect that spoken in France during the Hundred Years War) and to the Brits , but none of the reputable dictionaries that I have seen seem to carry a pejorative sense.

There is this which is hardly authoritative: http://desencyclopedie.wikia.com/wiki/Anglois

What do our natives think, please?

I have never had a wiki warning before.[blink]

Well what a hateful piece of work, full of vitriol. Is there one on wiki about french colonialism............. as unmeasured and so full of venom????....... actually, I hope not.

Interesting though Wooly.

I have seen that article before, which is a sort of French version of Stephen Clarke [:D]

The word is still in use as you say in  a pejorative sense

Et l´Anglois était à la source de tous nos maux

Épidémies, guerres, pluie, hiver

Les mauvais vents provenaient souvent d´Angleterre

http://fr.lyrics-copy.com/alexis-hk/maudits-anglois.htm

but it is not totally negative, more ironic as you will see if you read to the end of that text, where l'Angloise becomes Anglaise in the right situation [6]

Partly, if anybody really understands the term.

There it says "used full, rich harmonies based on the third and sixth, which may have made lyrics easier to articulate"

The part about thirds and sixths may have some validity, but I see absolutely no reason why the second part of the sentence is there. There is nothing about a chord with a third in it that makes a  text easier to articulate.

? ? ? :-)

I'm afraid I only read the title of the page before posting the link, Norman, so I am flattered that you think I know aught about music!

Actually, having read and reread your comment about the lyrics, and swotted up a bit about chords, I agree with you. I can see no reason at all why one chord should be easier to sing lyrics to than another...

Of course, an Anglois is the term for a resident of Angles-sur-l'Anglin. And a very pretty place it is; I once visited it.

Angela

[quote user="NormanH"]Partly, if anybody really understands the term.
There it says "used full, rich harmonies based on the third and sixth, which may have made lyrics easier to articulate"

The part about thirds and sixths may have some validity, but I see absolutely no reason why the second part of the sentence is there. There is nothing about a chord with a third in it that makes a  text easier to articulate.[/quote]

Norman, perhaps you could sing this and put it on utube for our edification!