Chivalry and Betrayal

DerekJ

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Alas, our satellite dish was covered in snow last night and we couldn't get a good enough signal to watch.

Is there a repeat during the week?

[/quote]

This Thursday (14/2) at 23:00 UK time.  BBC4

btw. I recorded it and played it back tonight. I found it very interesting.

Thank you, Derek.  Nightcap, watch, fall asleep, wake up and it's morning![:D]

No, honestly, will give it a go as we are night owls .....

I saw bits of Normandy when the signal didn't break up enough to enable a peek; I just LOVE Normandy.

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]I'll have to see if I can find that somehow and download it. Sounds interesting.

Just studying about the French revolution at present in college. Damn, that Napoleon was a real git!
[/quote]

The Americans should remember that without the French there would not be an America as we know it today. Something else I blame the French for. [;-)]

I am always sceptical about the American interpretation of history. Two famous Scottish heroes, one English and one French were all American apparently if their films are to be believed. [:D] Not to mention that they won both the first and second world wars and saved England from the German occupation. [:@]

I have mentioned in both my history class and my American Government class, that the Americans should be truly grateful for the expense and manpower that went in getting the French out of the northern States (think the French still had much of the Mississippi and Louisiana which the Americans eventually bought from Napoleon later), but they should have been taxed for the bill. And really, I don't get this representation stuff. I have to pay taxes, but I am not represented. After Obama was reelected, the queen should have taken the States back for putting forward two very poor quality candidates to run her colony :) Oh yes, I have a lot of fun with my American friends.

I also ask regularly, were the Americans in WW1? When they reply they came in in 1917, I simply say, ah, it was pretty much over by then.

And Mel Gibson is a gimp!

You've just reminded me Richard, a friend of mine living and working in the States was without a vote. She was bombarded with tax forms which she didn't fill in. In the end, exasperated she wrote," No taxation without represention" in large letters on one of them and sent it back..

A few days later she was visited by a couple of humourless men in suits.

Hoddy

Although it's not what I would call a "good read", Jimmy Carter's "The Hornet's Nest" is a novel about the American war of independence, set in the deep south, and it gives a lot of emphasis to the role of the French - both the navy and their land forces - in defeating the British.

Here's a quote from an interview with Carter about the book:

"The British sought to end a long stalemate in the North by launching

their major strategic thrust into Savannah. The troops came from St.

Augustine by land and from New York by sea. Once they took Savannah (the

most costly of all Revolutionary battles), they moved to secure Charles

Town, where almost five thousand American troops surrendered. From

Charles Town, General Cornwallis launched his move northward, which was

costly but with few lost battles. The heavy involvement of the French

navy off the coast at Yorktown and French soldiers by land is what saved

Americans from defeat.
"

It's said to be the only work of fiction written by a US president, but I find that hard to credit.

[edit] And didn't he get his apostrophe in the wrong place? I don't think hornets are usually solitary. Maybe American ones are different?

[quote user="Araucaria"][edit] And didn't he get his apostrophe in the wrong place? I don't think hornets are usually solitary. Maybe American ones are different?
[/quote]

[:D]

However, your remark has me thinking how to justify the apostrophe (excuse me, I'm a bit childish like that)[:)]

Well if generals (or whatever grand rank they have) can be called "Stonewall" or "Desert Rat" and other fancy names, I suppose one of the bigshots might be nicknamed "Hornet" and the "nest" could be his centre of operations (you know, where they keep the maps to stick flags on and telephones and other war essentials?)

So, as you have pointed out, although hornets are not usually solitary, maybe this particular hornet justifies having a nest all to itself?  

DerekJ, I've come back to thank you once more for alerting me to the repeat last night.

I loved the programme and learnt lots of things about a period in history of which I am lamentably ignorant.

I found all the tombs of particular interest because I can't say I'd ever look at tombs with anything like a critical eye before.  Hopefully, the next famous tomb I visit, I'll be able to deduce more information from all the symbols that are there if you knew how to look!