pffftt. winter evenings.

Bourdon

I just looked at the clock thinking it was around 9.45. It was 8.15 :/ What do you all do (keeping it clean of course :) in these dark winter evenings. Do you have winter time hobbies?

I hate the change over from Summer to Winter and it always takes me a while to adjust :(

Well it is a couple of weeks off as yet....

The winter is at least a time when things such as clubs associations choirs etc are in full swing, things that fold just at the end of May/beginning of June.

There is a cinema here, meetings and talks, although I confess I watch quite a bit of TV and film, as well as reading the things that are being judged for the season of literary prizes that happens around now (Goncourt Nobel Booker)

I also do a bit of writing, just for myself.

Rugby, Boules and catching up on all the TV programs I recorded whilst working through the summer. Day work is painting bedrooms, renovating a bathroom, painting shutters. Off to Scotland at the end of the month for a couple of weeks walking (with Mrs 'Q' of course) as my BIL has a timeshare on the banks of Loch Lomond. First time I have visited so I am looking forward to it.

I love the dark nights and don't really do anything much different to the things I do the rest of the year.

I am happy in front of my fire though, with the curtains shut and when we lived in France, curtains AND shutters shut early to keep the dark out. And just shutters are so cold looking, I do like curtains.

And yes, libido should go up in autumn and there is nothing wrong with that! Historically a good time to get pregnant. Baby born in late spring and early summer and thriving by the following winter.

I am definitely a spring/summer person. I love being outside. Gardening, the lakes, walking in the woods, bbqs. I have a couple of big vegetable gardens and grow as much as I can in them and spend loads of time there just pottering around.

This time of year is good for looking for mushrooms and the weather at the moment is great.

For me, I can't wait for the winter months to be over and done with. As soon as the House Martin's and Swallows start getting ready to leave ( I have 25 nests around my house and barns) I know that winter is just around the corner.

The good thing is, that here, there are still seasons and for some reason time goes by very fast.

What season do you all prefer and why?

Come on Kong, how is that true.  I spent 25 xmases in France  (as we actually went back to the UK for a couple) and every year the stuff in the supermarkets was out earlier and earlier too. The first signs the being the papillotes, which maybe something that was particular to my old  region, I believe they were at one time.

From what I have gathered parents spend about 112€ per child and £112, so slightly more in the UK, but not that much.

And the price of the fete itself. Well, I would say that my french friends spend more than any of my UK ones, and that includes the booze that is purchased in the UK. A proper reveillon is a VERY EXPENSIVE even when done at home and there are two of them to do. And if one eats out, well around us in a resto it was around €120 per person at least.

It may be done differently, but these fetes being done in France doesn't make them any less commercial as far as I am concerened.

And good for anyone who can have a reveillon for less than the amount I quoted, I wasn't talking about something in a salle de fetes although they were always around a 100€ too.

Mine last year was 45€

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/b9dc54a3-a213-4f7c-8e88-3cffb7881cce_zpsc5359f37.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/b9dc54a3-a213-4f7c-8e88-3cffb7881cce_zpsc5359f37.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

But Xmas is not just about food and gifts, is it, Idun? There has to be something else.

In all the countries I ever lived in, it was never there, but back down in the West Country, it was and still is. A spiritual value that goes back way beyond Christianity. Call it a mid-winter feeling if you like that the light will soon begin to return and that meanwhile we can draw a blanket of comfort round outselves with good cheer, being that little bit nicer, even to Norman, that the demons of the forests and the hills and the wolves that howl, are nor going to get us.

Ooops, running away with myself.

Looks like a very very nice menu NH something I could eat at any time of the year for a lovely treat and thoroughly enjoy.

But a special reveillon menu is not what it is 'chez nous'. Simply not enough luxury courses. Where are the oysters, the smoked salmon, the lobster, the frogs legs, the coquille st jacques and the wine and champagne.

Maybe it was regional and people from my bit of France were particularly gourmande, which would not surprise me. A food orgy was what it was for the deux fetes and rather expensive.

I'm sure a proper reveillon costs a bit, but round here people create a good xmas bash for a reasonable amount.

What I was eluding to was that the supermarkets in the UK were putting up the xmas stuff in august, whilst here at least they wait until after Toussaint. I remember going into shops in October and being asked if I was ready for Christmas!