Some impressive photos of the Floods

NormanH

We have seen so many of these images on tv. In spite of there being so many this year in particular, still shocking as one can but feel for the people concerned.

What I still do not understand is when people drive onto a submerged road, I hope I never have that decision to make in my life, as it doesn't feel logical to me to take the risk. But as I have never been in that position, maybe it is too easy to make judgement from my warm and dry and unflooded sitting room.

We drove into the tail end of one of the storms as we drove back from Marseille Airport on Friday evening. Impressive concentration of lightning flashes but no rain until we were just short of Montpellier, but lots of warnings from Autoroute FM about problems on the secondary roads. Palavas seemed to have been hit mainly because the high tide and high winds prevented the Lez from flowing into the sea. Damage seems to be far worse elsewhere.

It can take anyone by surprise.

My brother lives in a hill village north west of Malaga. Mainly hot and bone dry and nearest river some miles away. So it came as something of a shock a year or two ago when after a fierce storm the main street had become a raging torrent without warning. The water picked up a bolder, smashed it through the wall of the communal parking garage and stuffed all the cars - including mi hermano's - through the main doors and into the next street. It caused mayhem - the locals had never known anything like it before.