Cheap home heating at last.

Jonzjob

Love the way it says that  2m3 of kiln dried birch will last a winter. The crates of kiln dried wood we buy have  more wood in than that and we get through two or three of them. Cheap heating doesn't exist anymore. Must say I love the heat given off by a fire though.

mint, we only had a wood burner for our first 15 odd years in France, and I cannot remember any more dust during that time, than when we got proper gas heating in. Now I have chosen wood burners, who knows what the future will hold and if the electricity ever goes off, we shall be able to heat our home.

Anyway, these old eyes don't see the dust so much these days[Www]..... I just dust when I remember........ and this old memory, well...... it remembers something so 'important' as dusting ........sometimes.

Jeez you'd need to be desperate. Luckily, there's a big wood near us called Windsor Great Park, where the nice men chop wood and cut it to size and deliver it to your door for a fraction of that price. It may not be kiln dried but it's well seasoned.

However, luckily the vast majority of homes in England (and the rest of. UK) have that wonderful fallback, mains gas, which, whilst it may not be cheap, is a damned sight cheaper than having to buy oil, and a damned sight more convenient and comfortable than having to rely on a log burner as your only or main source of heating.

Having just moved house, were about to install a log burner here in the UK, and possibly a couple, because we had one in our last house. Unlike the two we also have in France, these will supplement our central heating. In France, we couldn't possibly afford to keep our central heating running for longer than it takes to get the house up to a background heat that stops icicles forming on the inside of the windows.

I know which I prefer....

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Jeez you'd need to be desperate. Luckily, there's a big wood near us called Windsor Great Park, where the nice men chop wood and cut it to size and deliver it to your door for a fraction of that price. It may not be kiln dried but it's well seasoned. [/quote]

That's where we get our logs for our house in England. Been using "By Royal Appointment" logs for a few years now and it's easily the best we've been able to source here.

I couldn't help noticing how regular were the wooden pieces our Dutch friend was burning on his fire in France. On closer inspection, they were wonderful, thick oak parquet tiles. When he investigated the nearby building that he had bought with the house, he had found the rooms filled with these large wooden tiles. He didn't know what they were but couldn't believe his luck as it saved him having to cut firewood (which is in plentiful supply round here).

He showed me the hundreds he had left and they all looked in perfect condition. Seemed such a waste to me. But he was happy to continue burning them.

In spite of many forests in the Alpes, the wood around us was always expensive, about 900ff a tonne. We never bought in steres. Thing was that we used over 7 tonnes each winter, so we have never had cheap heating for years. In the end we bought in bulk from other parts of France, but we could only ever get it in lengths, 2 or three metres, I forget, and it needed drying. So a lot of work and time involved, but we did save in the end. Then gas came to our part of the village and we did save on our heating bills.