Aesthetic question - replacing white goods with ?

chessie

We live in a house where a new fully fitted kitchen was installed 12 years ago, with all the lovely fitted cabinets etc - and all the lovely sparkling white cooker, hob, extractor hood and dish washer - all in lovely sparkly gleaming white enamel.

Here's the problem;  two of the white boxes have commited hari-kari - the cooker and the dishwasher - the oven 3 months ago, and the dishwash last week.

I'd love to have a stainless steel new dishwasher, and a matching stainless steel front built-in oven.  

That would mean the hob and the extractor hood will be white - so I've got a mis-match.   Do I stick with the same white boxes, or do the stainless steel ?

We could be selling up next year - or the year after - or the year after !!  Oh dear....

What would be your reaction, if you were looking to buy a place, seeing the mis-match;  what would be your first reaction ?   Would it bother you in any way ?

Or do I just hope that the hob joins its friends and needs replacing soon.....   

Not a serious question but just interested in everyone's views before I go and put a big dent in our bit of savings;  and it will be a dent because we'll need to 'find a man' to remove and instal these items for us as well.

Chessie

I would buy the cheapest I could to replace the white goods became at 12 years old Mrs 'Q' would demand a new kitchen regardless of how well it looked if we were buying a house. Based on the fact that it might take you a year or two to sell we are then talking 13 to 14 year old kitchen.

You can try http://www.mistergooddeal.com for cheap/reduced stuff, they are very good. We saved over 600 Euros on our cooker, nobody could come near their price in France of the UK and it was delivered from Holland in three days.

Stainless steel looks fantastic - until you take it out of the packaging.

Just installing it will leave finger marks on the metal.

Using it will become an endless battle with the cleaning cloth. water marks - wipe with cloth - cloth cleaning streaks - use special SS cleaner - more smears.

If you love cleaning and polishing SS is definitely your finish of choice.

I'd stick with white .... stainless steel is to your taste but it will checker-board the kitchen. Really people won't notice - they will see the size of the kitchen, the view from the window, etc., but if you can save money and stay white then I'd do that. And, yes, stainless steel is fussy to keep clean!

We bought a superb 5 burner stainless steel SMEG gas hob online from Appliances Direct for 65% below the list price, plus shipping by their standard delivery for £19.96. It was described as having slight cosmetic damage.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixedT0bOQdo[/url]

The cosmetic damage was a small dent on one corner which took about an hour to repair, as I had to take the top cover off to do this properly.

Although the hob is larger than the standard sized one it replaced, it fitted the existing cutout in the work top, so was very easy to install.

The St-steel has a matt finish which wipes clean without leaving any smears.

It has flame failure protection, unlike many hobs on offer here, and has a much better burner setup and better flame control than the Arthur Martin/Electrolux/AEG/Corbero/Faure/Kenmore/Zanussi (All Electrolux) unit it replaced.