UK Bank

CeeJay

There seems to be a plethora of new Banks opening, or about to open in the UK. I am still trying to open an account with one as I have been refused by my Bank to open up another savings account even though I have been with them for nearly 20 years. Any ideas please?

Ceejay, AFAIK, not a bit of use trying to open any new account in the UK if you are no longer resident there.

However, you might be able to open one with National Savings.

Try searching on the forum site.  I know of at least 2 recent threads discussing bonds with NSI.  I'd find them for you but it's time for my sieste and my eyes are being propped up with matchsticks.

Try https://www.investec.co.uk.

No problems opening the original account as a French resident. They will also pay interest Gross.

I have a 2yr Fixed (originally their High 5 account which I converted to the fixed rate when the interest on the High 5 tanked.) maturing on 31/08/15 and a renewal happening on 01/09/15 for a 3yr Fixed.

Last year I also opened one of their 5yr Step-Up Bonds.

They also offer an Easy Access savings account.

My wife has also opened 3 accounts with them.

Regards

cajal

Can I just suggest that you do your homework on this.

When in the website I changed from UK to international (France is not an option), I found a number of things:

1. The FSC guarantee disappears from the screen

2. You are offered services from Mauritius, the Channel Isles, Hong Kong etc..

I think this may well mean that you will not have a UK account. You would be advised to check this.

It could be that they are not offering anything that the UK high street banks do not offer.

At the risk of repeating myself, it really is not possible to open a UK bank account.  Sure you can open an account with Lloyds TSB or Nationwide or any of the other Hight St banks but it would be with their OVERSEAS subsidiaries. 

As andy has pointed out, the terms are not the same at all, not the same animal, period (as the Americans would say!)

andyh4 wrote

When in the website I changed from UK to international (France is not an option), I found a number of things:

I am unable to comment on the terms and conditions of an International account as I wanted, applied for and was issued with a UK account that is covered by the FSCS.

Be aware of future T&C's of the FSCS. Below is a copy of an email I received from Investec this week.

Dear Mr xxxx,

You

may have read in the press recently about some changes to the Financial

Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).  In July 2015, the Prudential

Regulation Authority (PRA) announced the FSCS limit would be reduced

from £85,000 to £75,000 for each client. This FSCS limit includes a

client's share of any monies held in joint accounts and will take effect

from 1 January 2016.

To explain these changes, here is information prepared by the FSCS. If you have any questions, please call us 24/7/365 on 0330 123 3655 or outside the UK on +44 207 597 4131.

What this means for you

If

you currently have less than £75,000 in total in your Investec

accounts, this change will not affect you and there is nothing you need

to do. 

We

will be contacting those clients with more than £75,000 in total in

their Investec accounts before 1 October 2015, with further information

that includes how to make a withdrawal.

Yours sincerely,

mint wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself, it really is not possible to open a UK bank account.

The accounts I hold and the correspondence I receive from Investec are generated from:

2 Gresham Street

London

EC2V 7QP

As far as I am aware the above address is in the UK or it was when I lived in London.

regards

cajal