Musty smell!

Evianers

There was a very old house being emptied by the inheritors yesterday advertised as "Vide Maison".

Loads of old rubbish, but amongst the bits and pieces, a rather lovely, modern, suitcase on wheels.

Very usable. BUT it smells horrible! Has been in ancient bedroom for yonks. Put it outside and there it has been overnight, but still smells this morning. Does anyone please have any tips how to get rid of the pong? Don't want this permeating our clothes en route from A to B! thanks everyone for ideas

We had to be repatriated from France a couple of months ago and needed 2 small roll-along suitcases instead of the big case that usually goes in the car - the car was being repatriated separately.

I ordered 2 from Amazon.fr using the equivalent to 'prime', so they arrived the next day. On unzipping them, we found that they smelled dreadful, so put them straight out on the balcony and left them there for 2 days and nights until the day before we left -I would have returned them as faulty, but had far too much to get done.

I wiped lavender oil sparingly on the fabric insides and to ensure no tranfer of that pong, I put plastic bin liners all round the clothes as I packed them. On arrival home I used Fabreze on the recommendation of a friend and also used bicarb. The cases haven't been used since then, but I went upstairs and sniffed inside them - no pong left! Good luck!