Where do you holiday

idun

And I do not mean visiting family anywhere, would it be other parts of France or further afield?

Over the years, I have found that french friends etc have started to holiday further afield, sometimes the other ends of the earth, but when we first got there, in general les vacances for all the french people I knew, were usually spent in France.

Maybe with friends it was with children growing up and not being 'a charge' any more, so more money, maybe the mortgage finished, OR and I suspect that people have just become more adventurous too, well, some.

We would on average visit friends and family in the UK every two years, as parents were ageing and because of illness, this did increase to one a year or more as the years went by, BUT, I did like my holidays elsewhere too, including escaping family and holidaying in North Northumberland, only once, but lovely.

We have holidayed in quite a number of european countries and the USA and Canada too, and even in France all over the place.

Visiting family is OK but I always need a change of scene. And that is why I am glad we did not go down the second home route. We would never have been well off enough to go elsewhere and that would never have been for me.

Whenever I get a "holiday", its nearly always back to Scotland staying with relatives and invariably I end up changing clutches, re-tiling bathrooms, repairing plumbing etc etc and I really, really cant be bothered with that anymore, so next holiday is going to be somewhere where the beers are cold, the girls are hot and both are cheap. I might not come back.

We've just taken a 2 night break from our second home and driven to Spanish Basque country. Lovely stay in a very comfortable (up market) old Spanish hotel. No washing up, no jobs to do, breakfast prepared for us, very nice indeed.?

Sometimes at the end of our stays in France we holiday in Spain near Santander or spend a few nights in Brittany before catching the ferry .

Havn't had one since 2004 but that one was all year and around the world, I recently worked out that before that I had taken maybe 12 weeks Holiday in 28 years and of course nothing since, I know people that take that much in a single year, year in year out, but for me everyday is a Holiday in that I have a choice of what to do, sitting on a beach with hordes of others does not appeal, travelling again does and that is what I will do long term when I leave France.

Despite my average of 2 days Holiday a year without the travelling I was and am still far more travelled than 99% of the French I have met in my area in the last 12 years and thats without the destinations when I was travelling. Most of them go to the same colonie de vacances every year organised and subsidised by the C.E. rather like the families in the film Camping that came to blows because they were not allocated "their" pitch.