French presidential New Year's address

mint

I've read a resumée in english , Norman. Seems his main theme is anti-Nationalism, pro EU.

He has a dig at Brexit too.

But France's recent history is so different from that of the UK. France is joined at the hip with Germany, geographically, and has experienced a series of painful invasions and occupations from them.

Which as an island nation, the UK has avoided TG.

I read a biography of Simone Veil, whose family suffered terribly during WW2. In spite of that when she became 1st president of the EU Parliament she made the move to 'make peace with your neighbour.' ie Germany.

I think France still feels vulnerable, and it's not surprising.

A very clear dialogue though, good enunciation, one of the few French broadcasts that I could listen to without watching.

Did not hear him make any reference to Brexit unless it was in the first minute or so that I missed or perhaps I lost concentration like ALBOF.

The real talking point for me was what on earth was the weather bimbo that came on afterwards wearing on her legs? [:-))]

Even a 16 year old would not get away with that, she looked like one of the hookers in Pretty Woman.

Bring back Evelyn Dheliat please!

[quote user="NormanH"]So what did you think, mint?

You can watch a discussion here, by logging in with your sosh /orange ID

https://chaines-tv.orange.fr/#live/liveChannel/47

[/quote]

Will look at your link, Norman, thank you but I did want to come here and tell you that I enjoyed the broadcast.

I don't think he was too "jupiterien" and I liked the way he begun by thanking people like police, army, nurses for being on the job on the day.  Also, he didn't forget les malades (merci, M le président), people on their own etc.

Then I like the way he has plans and the determination to roll out those plans.  I like his "can do" attitude and the leadership qualities on display.  I DIDN'T watch May's speech but heard a snatch on the news and I daresay I am not the only person to wish that May had even a fraction of the French president's personality and character.

He didn't call them the "jams" (that ghastly phrase coined by May to refer to "the just about managing"), but he spoke of those who couldn't fully engage in society and he spoke of how he wanted to bring them in.  Such a fine, INCLUSIVE speech.

The delivery was very accomplished, all sentences nicely paced, the tone friendly yet authoritative and the best bit of ALL, Norman, I understood it![:D] 

I think he would have made a very fine actor, and of course is French is beautiful, unlike that of the ghastly Sarkozy.

I think that link might be dead now, as it was to a live broadcast, but you can use this one:

https://www.france.tv/france-5/c-dans-l-air/365207-emission-du-lundi-1-janvier-2018.html

I watch that program most days either live or in catch up, as the commentators are extremely intelligent and well informed, and they also speak very clear French, although it may sometimes be a little quick if you are not used to it.