Clapping for the Health Service

I see the latest gesture in the UK is to clap hands for the NHS and carers at 20.00 on a Thursday evening. Whilst there can be no doubt they all deserve the applause that is displayed I will not be contributing. Mainly because I am not a UK resident but also because my applause will be directed towards the French Health system that has admirably served my wife.

Four weeks ago today, whilst out walking our two dogs, my wife's vision in the bottom half of her right eye, without notice, simply stopped functioning. At about 14.00 she telephoned the clinic and described the incident to the ophthalmologist's receptionist who told my wife to attend the clinic at 17.00. On arrival it appeared fairly busy but she was ushered straight in to be examined by the doctor.

In brief, he carried out several tests and informed her that she had suffered a detached retina. He immediately telephoned the hospital and she was booked in for an operation the next day at 11.00. As well as the necessary paperwork he issued an ordanance for a taxi ambulance which duly arrived at our house at 10.00 the following morning. She was discharged a 16.00 that evening, just 23 hours from her original examination.

The following week she attended a follow up appointment with the surgeon for a progress examination and last week she attended a follow up with the original optho. for a progress on his behalf.

Her next appointment is on the 14th of April with the surgeon who carried out the operation.
This afternoon the sugeon telephoned my wife to get an update on her present condition and asked her to call her back on the 7th of April to discuss her then condition as by the the14th she will only be able to accomodate 'urgence' cases because of covid-19.

Pre-empting this situation the optho. had spoken with my wife, a couple of days ago, to say if the surgeon is unable to see her on the 14th then she should contact him for an examination.

For medical care I deny anyone to receive better attention than my wife has received during the past four weeks.  My wife and I are both indebted to healthcare French style.

Thank you.

You can clap for who you want, but they all deserve applause for their tireless dedication, no matter the country.

Me it was my big pan and wooden spoon again. And husband had made a wooden clapper thing, we made lots of noise as did many others in this town, and some let fireworks off.

Sending very best wishes to your wife, cajal - I hope all ends very well following being well cared for.

We were out in our front garden clapping at 20h, banging away with pans as well, pleased to make a noise in support of everyone who helps us all in any way.

There were quite a lot more people out clapping in our road this week and somebody down the road set off 2 soaring fireworks.

It was very nice to see neighbours outside, and to have a chat with our friends next door, at a distance, of course - much better than emails!

Cajal,

Whilst I am glad that your wife got the treatment she needed, you decry the opthalmic service of the NHS incorrectly.  I recognised immediately what had happened the moment you said she lost half her vision .. suddenly, as this was what happened to my husband 20 years ago whilst we were still in the UK.  He walked himself to Moorfields after he'd finished work (I told him off afterwards for not going immediately) and he would have been kept in overnight for an operation the next morning .. though they allowed him home (we were as you can see based in very central London) as long as he got himself back to Moorfields the next morning at the stated time.  Easy peasy, taxi on doorstep. Came out the same night.  His after care was as good as here .. as it also was for other UK people I know who have suffered similarly.

Any optician / opthalmo knows that detached retinas have to be re-attached asap .. and the NHS is no different.  When it's a case of an emergency they are suberb.  I will accept that there may be other problems within the NHS, not all of their making, but this is equally true of hospitals here .. of which I now have experienced several ... and you only need to speak to any healthcare professional to find that out.  One of my best friends here is a nurse .. and I hear what she says .. all is not perfect in the land of the supposed perfect health service, whatever you say.

Cajal.

So glad to hear your wife had her detached retina cared for rapidly, and hope her recovery is complete.

I remember when it happened to me, in 2008, working upside down on my boat in le Barcarés, beating on something in the bilges. Very scary.

At the time I had private insurance in Spain, so my wife drove me down to an opthalmo' we knew in Figueres, who made an appointment for the operation the next morning in Gerona.

It all happened so fast that all I can remember is walking around with a gradually shrinking bubble in my eye for several days afterwards.

Whilst I am very glad that your wife had such good treatment, and whilst my wife and I have also had excellent treatment at the hands of the French health service, I can't help but think that you are being a little mean spirited in your post. My wife had a detached retina whilst she was a student. The NHS treated it and saved her sight. Two years ago an optician was concerned that the retina was detatching again, and made an appointment for her to see a doctor at the nearest NHS eye clinic. She was seen within 48 hours and given an all clear.

But all this is by-the-by. NHS staff are working very long hours, some without all of the protective gear that they should have. They put themselves at risk for their patients. Several doctors have died of Covid19, and two nurses died today. I know the same is true in France, and I salute the health professionals there also. This is not a contest. You can be grateful for the excellent service you have received in France as well as being glad that the NHS professionals are doing their best in your former country.

My wife and I both took part in the Thursday night applause, and whilst I live in a very small village it was good to hear the applause coming from our neighbours as well.

To those of you who have taken the time to post best wishes for my

wife's recovery and welfare I truly thank you all, most sincerely, for

your thoughts.

However, through a poor choice

of words on my behalf, it would appear some of you think that I have

been disingenuous and critical regarding  the UK health service and its'

staff. Why would I do that? 

What I was relaying was

that I was about to adopt what is becoming a national procedure from the

UK, which I believe originated in Italy, brought about by a global

issue, to show my total appreciation and tribute to the local health

service here where we live. Our dilema was far from being a global issue

which was already having an impact on the medical services in our area

but had no bearing on the treatment my wife received in the service

provided by both the clinic and the hospital.
For the record

in 1981 I was admitted to the Royal Holloway Hospital, whilst resident

in London, following an accident where I sustained a broken ankle,

broken wrist, broke pelvis, broken coccyx and three broken vertebrae and

was told there was a possibility I might be unable to walk again. I am

therefore deeply indebted and always will be for the care, medical

attention and treatment I received while I was in the capable hands of

the UK NHS which enabled me to make a full recovery.
This post

is not about justifying my original post but giving an explanation as

to my motives for the tone of post which in no way, shape or form was

intended to be a slur on other countries health services.

Thanks again for your best wishes.