Norman, you message re non- French deaths from covid

Thank you cajal.

Yes, not sure that there are any surprises in the numbers, really? Many immigrants live in crowded communities which are ideal for spreading covid, and many may choose to reject the vaccination for all sorts of reasons. And other conditions may not be treated either as rendezvous get cancelled etc.

Probably even the outreach programmes have not been sufficient of they ever were.

Not a  surprise no, but:

1) It is data from a relatively reliable source, not  a press outlet.
2) The way that insée have got around the taboo about ethnicity by using place of birth is interesting.

"Les statistiques ethniques sont en principe interdites en France. D'abord par la loi de 1978 «Informatique et libertés», qui dispose que Â«il est interdit de collecter ou de traiter des données à caractère personnel qui font apparaître, directement ou indirectement, les origines raciales ou ethniques, les opinions politiques, philosophiques ou religieuses ou l'appartenance syndicale des personnes, ou qui sont relatives à la santé ou à la vie sexuelle de celles-ci.»"

The problem in any culture is that nationality becomes associated with ethnicity and with unpleasantness.

An example health problems in national or ethnic groups in UK here:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/18/birmingham-launches-taskforce-as-babies-die-at-twice-national-rate

Right from the start of Covid, in the UK, it was noted  that BAME people were more at risk than white people and a higher percentage dying.

We humans come in all shapes, sizes, and colours, due to our variety, some illnesses affect certain groups more than others and that if memory serves, includes cancers.

I remember reading that certain blood groups were more at risk than others too.

So yes, I believe that this is the case, and we are not all the same. I daresay my risk of getting skin cancer is far higher than say a black person from Africa. Just how it is.

Please don't get me started about the 'bad' white man. Since time immemorial tribes have fought and one side has won subjugating their enemies, they/we, who ever 'we' were, have taken slaves, tortured and mutilated and raped the women and worse still the children.

Bad human behaviour doesn't have a colour or nationality. I shall not apologise for anything done or said by past generations, or in fact, if I said anything I should not have in my youth, I may have.......I truly cannot remember but it is quite possible. It just 'was', the world I was brought up in, and I have lived and learned, hopefully, to be wiser.

At the beginning of Covid, something like 27/29 UK doctors who died were BAME. Their 'unions'/associations quickly sent out recommendations that their colleagues increase their vitamin D intake.

Something very similar happened in Sweden, many of the deaths being among those from Somalia.

Darker skins make less Vitamin D (assuming skin is exposed to sunlight). So, the same applies very much to those from Maghreb/elsewhere in Africa (difference 33%-36% is not statistically significant).