New Year in France

Rose

I know it seems a bit early but I'm looking for some ideas for places to spend New Year.  There will be us and three children 10, 13 and 16... we're thinking either somewhere snowy or somewhere where new year is celebrated well.  Obvious choice would be Paris but we were there last year with the kids so we'd prefer to go somewhere else.... anyone got any ideas?

thank you [:)]

We've been thinking the same.  Looking at Morocco because Bordeaux direct flights are cheap(ish) and run throughout the winter.  The winter flight schedules are not yet out (well, they weren't last weekend).  No snow though (unless you go up one of the mountains).  We did spend Christmas and New Year in Egypt a few years ago and neither festival were celebrated to a great extent, of course.

In France, New Year celebrations tend to be very much a family affair and take place at home around a large set diner, with public gatherings far and few between. As a result French towns and cities can be strangely quiet and subdued on New Years Eve, with all the action going on in private homes.

I'm a little surprised at what you said, Sprogster. Down here, in the SW, the family celebrations tend to be at Christmas and practically every village advertises a New Year "Reveillon" open to all, which goes on all night finishing with breakfast at dawn (if you can keep going).[:)]

I noticed you said cities and towns so it may be a rural thing.

I'm surprised at Sprogster's comments too.  I've sat in an empty restaurant on Christmas Eve before now but always a packed one on New Year's Eve.  Our village hall is always booked for a function on that night and and 3/4 of all restaurants in the local towns have special menus for NEw Year's Eve and some have music and dancing too.

St Malo is a great place for New Year's Eve -lots going on, lively bars and restaurants and plenty for the kids to do in the surrounding area during the daytime.  Honfleur is another good place where it's lively all year round and the restaurants do a good meal on New Year's Eve.

After 2 years of total boredom of Xmas and New Year in France I went back to the UK for years 3 and 4, I hated being away from family after all that's what Christmas is about isn't it.  Whilst I like my life here most of the time I find these times of year the worst to be away from family.

This year I will actually be in the Alps for Xmas  and NY but I'm hoping to be somewhere where I can have family come and stay and enjoy the snow with me.

Dear all... thanks for the ideas.  We're still not sure what to do but at least I have a few things to think about.   JK... we weren't in Paris for the new year but we visited just before Christmas so the kids don't want to go this year.  It's difficult really trying to keep everyone happy, but I think we'll maybe try and stay close to home and look for things around here... we're obviously looking in the wrong place... of course the other option is we hold a party at home...or we could head off in search of some snow! 

Thanks anyway for all your ideas! [:D]

• 1 month later...