Income for caravanners!

Madhatter

I have a business selling handmade ceramic pictures. They are very charming and the sort of thing that sells well to people in a relaxed atmosphere situation (eg I go to garden shows, craft shows, farmers markets). It occurs to me that an ideal place to sell them would be at campsites (UK and France). I doubt the campsite owners would want the hassle of stocking them, since their shops are often quite small and only stock groceries (and maybe postcards), but campers, especially with caravans, could easily pop up a few on display of an evening on their table and sell them. I think maybe 3 or 4 could be sold in the space of an hour, and at around £8 profit each, could bring in £500 for a two week holiday, and with simply sitting there. They are very striking and a real talking point - sales are easy as people are so receptive. My questions are:

i) would a typical caravanning couple have space for say 60 pictures (size 4" x 12") in their caravan/trailer, whatever- as I think 25 to 30 could easily be sold in a week (they would sell for around £15 each or 15 -20 euros) and a typical holiday is 2 weeks.

ii) would they think that £500 is not worth the hassle? I think its quite good money for about an hour a day but....maybe not.

iii) most importantly, would the campsite owners object if there was a miniature table top sale going on?!!! It could be fairly discreet with just 3 or 4 pictures on display but I suppose they could complain......

Feedback welcome, thanks.

Hatti,

The people would be on holiday wouldn't they ? Why would they want to work in the evenings ? Doesn't that kind of defeat the object ?

Having said that I have bough artwork from guys who set up shop near the entrance to the camp site once a week and I guess you may be able to find students or similar who would do the same

[quote user="Swissie"]It could be just ideal for a retired couple- why not? Bonne chance.

[/quote]

A vulnerable retired couple perhaps! am I alone in thinking , this thread may be  a waste of space.

I am surprised that Hatty, who it appears does not make these things but has a business selling them and thinks that £500 is good money for an hours work a day doesnt take a working holiday in France herself.

At the very least it would avoid implicating others in breaking the law.

My English is getting awfull, implicating is not I think the word I want to use but the only one that comes to mind.

If they are selling for £15 each and there is £8 profit in each for the caravaner then that implies that the OP is making a profit on the £7 that she sells them for. What sweat shop is making these handmade items in the first place?

Thanks for feedback everyone - genuinely appreciated. Will reply to various posts in one go.

Firstly, would happily go myself but not easy as I run my business singlehandedly and if I'm there I'm not here.

Why would it be breaking the law? Am I missing something here eg French permits etc? Would this not be up to the camp site owner?

Sorry - I may not have all the facts here.

Re sellers, I've always paid any staff I've had, all my tax, all my VAT! I don't know how the law stands regarding casual or temporary self employed labour in France - I would clearly check it first, since my current  public liability and other insurance would not cover me if I were breaking any law.  Puzzled as to why sellers would be vulnerable. Do you mean maybe I wouldn't pay them? I was thinking of letting them HAVE 60 pictures or so and pay ME when they get back!

Sweatshops? No. They are made efficiently in small runs, cost me around £6.50,  I would make £1.50 wholesale (good going, margins are tiny) and the seller would make around  60 - 75% margin - way below shops, where retail mark up is more like 100 - 200% on gift items.

I thought it might be a pleasant, easy way to get back some money spent on a holiday and I would, of course, earn something too. Oh well.

May be easier if I  contact French market traders instead.

I suspect if you were to set up shop on the campsite without the owner's permission, the owner would be inclined to take a very dim view indeed. I would, if I were a site owner - I would be concerned about the site turning into a car boot sale.

Regards

Pickles

Hi Pickles,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, agree. Whilst the site owner probably wouldn't mind someone putting their own watercolour on an easel outside a tent and perhaps selling it, this would be a commercial set up, albeit tiny- and could escalate.

I am going to test the waters in person- contact a couple of sites near where I go sometimes, suggest a couple of tables for an hour or two one day and they charge me rent or take a share of the profits. If they say no, no matter, I'll contact market traders or craft outlets . If they say yes and it works well I may well have blueprinted it for a handful of caravanners in the future . Would need to adjust profits to give owner a share, but I think it would work, product is lovely,  makes people smile.

BTW Chancer, re your comment, objection! As in my last post, can't quite see why the caravanner would be vulnerable.

I originally intended that they have my stock without paying upfront and could return unsolds -  plus simply have the pictures on a table while sipping their wine after dinner - hardly exploitation. But Pickles has a point about the site owner.

Many thanks Swissie,

Yes, you' re right - worth exploring. Its just logistics really. I am a sole trader with a shop with a very nice product (no, not made by me admittedly, I buy in from central Europe) , trying to keep prices affordable because of the recession. Product is fragile and heavy - each weighs 1kg. Can't easily spare time away from UK to go outlet hunting but did last time I went three weeks ago (to Normandy BTW, near Deauville) - reasonably successful. Just don't have time to do more, exhausted already just trying to earn a crust!  I thought caravanners would be good cos a) got the transport (can pick up from me on way to tunnel or Kent ports), b) have an easily ready venue and  c) appropriate clientele when get there. But there are valid issues as pointed out.

Your idea is commercially sound. Repping job anyone?

[quote user="Hatti Lee"]

would a typical caravanning couple have space for say 60 pictures (size 4" x 12") in their caravan/trailer, whatever- as I think 25 to 30 could easily be sold in a week (they would sell for around £15 each or 15 -20 euros) and a typical holiday is 2 weeks.......

.......Product is fragile and heavy - each weighs 1kg

[/quote]

Sixty pictures weighing 1kg each is quite a load.  I suspect it'd be the middle of week two before they'd find space to get the bed made up.....[;-)]